Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paging..... Paging NotGuilty, Hello are you listening?

gnarley
    NG, I just found something weird! And I just read your prevoius poet YES I do have a resistor wired in. On the Mallory site the manual http://www.mrgasket.com/mallorypdf/MagBreakDist.pdf for the dist shows power to the module on the 12v side of the resistor and on the IGN module manual http://www.mrgasket.com/mallorypdf/IgnModule.pdf it shows the module on the resisted side of power??? What the hell are they doing at Mallory??? They show two different ways to wire it??? Maybe this is why it blows. I am going to try wiring the module into the resisted side of voltage and if it fires leave it there.
    [This message has been edited by gnarley (edited April 26, 2002).]

not guilty
    I know it will fire , thats how mine is.Still wondering about the resistor thing ?Did you get my E-Mail? Dont really have a straight answer on that. NG
    OOOOOOPPPPSSSS sory , I guess I did get an answer on that . Too many Cooors lights already !!!!
    [This message has been edited by not guilty (edited April 26, 2002).]

not guilty
    E-mail me your # ,Hell I have long distance business rates !!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

gnarley
    NG, I lost another module! I thought it might go because it had already seen 12v before I switched it so maybe already damaged??? It went and I swapped it in 20 minutes and started to notice other weird electrical symptoms. So I talked to Dennis at Mallory today (Monday) and determined that there is a surge in amperage that the resistor cannot filter, it filters voltage not amperage. So they make a shunt for conversions on older street rods with generators and will shunt any spikes in amperage to the coil. I sure hope this ends it. Nonetheless Mallory has been pretty good and they are replacing the bad module and sending the shunt free of charge!

gnarley
    NG, I hadn't gotten my parts from Mallory yet and the weekend is nearing so I called to ask wasup? Dennis said they were out of stock and had stopped the production run of the module as a component supplier had switched a part that was to sensitive and caused the Module to blow! He said that they were getting an abnormally high failure rate in the modules & I wasn't the only one, so they started looking and found a problem. I t turns out that several people had run this setup and runtime was in the 15 minute range on some of the failures. Mine lasted longer but seemed to have similar characteristics. So he pulled one from the line as soon as they were made and tested then sent it overnight. I hope I get it by Friday!

not guilty
    Good deal (if it gets there on time anyway)!!
    Dennis has always been A+ for me.Hope that ends the troubles for you, like to see you be able to make some good runs with it and see what rpm increase you can get.
    But hey , your still in better shape than me . Just got my crank back from the machine shop today!Man summers comin fast!!! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

gnarley
    NG, do you know how to adjust steering to remove play? The cable seems tight but the hyd steering seems loose and with the engine off the wheel can turn about 1/3 before the drive moves. Any ideas

not guilty
    Will be checking into that real soon as I have that same problem with mine,let you know wat I come up with.LATER NG

gnarley
    Hey NG guess what??? I put 10 hours on it this weekend! No more ignition problems!!! Ran the motor to 4800 RPM to just get comfortable with it. I need to it check over again this week and put on the 28 pitch prop and plumb the boost guage. It felt pretty good though and had a lot of throttle to go at 4800. This is now getting good. once I getthe tune up done I think it will be real nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12