Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: electric hatch cover

BANDIT
    HAVASU HANGIN--THANKS FOR THE INFO I'LL ORDER AN EDDIE MARINE CATALOG TODAY THAT LOOKS LIKE WHAT I WANT. THANKS FOR THE HELP
    DAVE--I HAVEN'T BEEN TURNING TO BATTERIES OFF. JUST MAKE SURE EVERYTHING ELSE IS TURNED OFF. IS THERE SOMETHING ELSE I'M MISSING. I JUST WINTERIZED THE BOAT AND WHEN I PULLED THE BATTERIES I USED ONE OF THE PORTABLE POWERPACKS TO DROP THE HATCH. AND IF I NEED TO RELOCATE MY BATTERY SWITCH DOES EDDIE MARINE CARRY THEM?
    THANKS FOR THE HELP...NOT VERY MANY ***boatS IN MY AREA...IF ITS NOT A BASS BOAT NOBODY CAN HELP HERE. THE BOAT IS A BAJA 223 (BANDIT) WITH A 502. DOES ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THESE BOATS? IT'S THE ONLY ONE I'VE EVER SEEN IN PERSON..SEEN A FEW ON THE BOATTRADER ONLINE.

kab
    Tahoe22, The leads from the hatch motor bypass the battery selector switch. The only way to disable it is to remove both leads from the battery itself, or completely drain the batteries.

tahoe22
    Originally posted by kab:
    Tahoe22, The leads from the hatch motor bypass the battery selector switch. The only way to disable it is to remove both leads from the battery itself, or completely drain the batteries.
    I think if it were me (and beleive me you dont wanna be me) I would move the battery selector switch under the backseat & re-wire the hatch motor to the switch. Just in case your motor grounds out your batteries - No? Tell me if I'm wrong, but isnt having your battery on a constant hot lead a fire hazard especially connected to something under your hatch, or do you disconnect your cables everytime you put the boat away?
    All you manufacturers can jump in at any time. Is KABS boat standard wiring?

kab
    This is my first boat with an electric hatch, but when I pick up the new one in two weeks I'll let you know if its wired the same way.

Havasu Hangin'
    Personally, I wouldn't wire my ram directly to a battery, for the reason tahoe22 outlined. However, an inline fuse would go a long way to preventing a fire.
    Also, IMO, you want your hatch wired to your dual battery switch for another reason. If you kill that battery, how do you switch it to the other good battery?
    Kab, your ram wiring was probably standard for someone who didn't mount the dual battery switch outside the engine compartment (like under the back seat).
    On my boat, for security, I turn the batteries off, and lock the Perko switch. This way, nobody can get under the hatch, as the ram won't work. The only thing I have bypassing my Perko switch is my auto-bilge pump switch. Now I can leave it for extended periods with the batteries off, and let the pump come on in case it takes on water.
    http://www.goldenplasma.f2s.com/foru...es/happy25.gif
    [This message has been edited by Havasu Hangin' (edited October 12, 2001).]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12