Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Volvo Penta DPX

SS Havabrew
    Does anyone have any feedback on this drive set up, good, bad or indifferent. I am just trying to gather some information. I'll be buying a boat in Feb and want all the info I can gather. Thanks!

25Elmn8r
    Buy Mercury!!!!!!!

Havasu Hangin'
    Well...I'll expand on my fine checkered friend's post...
    After owning Volvos for the past 10 years...I've come to the following conclusions (in general):
    1. They are bulletproof...some argue pound for pound stronger than Merc.
    2. They are expensive...you think Merc parts are expensive...try pricing stuff from the Swedes.
    3. Aftermarket performance parts are almost non-existant...most drive showers, steering upgrades, etc. are focused on Merc stuff.
    As for the DPX...although I have never owned one, I have heard nothing but good things about them...
    Too bad Volvo discontinued thier performance program. I also heard the composite cases are out...

carreracat257
    The volvo dpx is a verry good drive had one on a 280zt checkmate.I used bronson hill props and had good luck with this package.

SS Havabrew
    25Elmn8r:
    Buy Mercury!!!!!!! Why did I know you would say that

bigq
    I'll ditto what HH said and add, I did own one. I had the VP 415DPX on my 24' Commander. I got it for a few reasons, integrated hydraulic steering, stronger than the Bravo(stock that is), and the duel Bronson Hill props. It was the best part of the boat. It planned extreamly fast and topspeed was the same as the Merc setup. My top speed was 73 MPH so I don't believe the duel props had much affect on the top end.I think the drive is good up to 650HP, but there is not any aftermarket kits for the Volvo engines.If you are going to leave it stock it would be a great choice.I always thought it would be great to put a Arizona Speed and Marine 540 in front of that drive, it might scream in the right hull.

25Elmn8r
    Havasu Hangin':
    HH, I was just kidding with SS, we are good friends and to be honest, I don't know much about the Volvo Drives. They sound like good drives if you are going to keep it fairly stock yuk . And I know SS, he is just like me, it won't stay stock for long!

SS Havabrew
    25Elmn8r:
    Havasu Hangin':
    HH, I was just kidding with SS, we are good friends and to be honest, I don't know much about the Volvo Drives. They sound like good drives if you are going to keep it fairly stock yuk . And I know SS, he is just like me, it won't stay stock for long!
    If my wife has her way... it will stay stock burningm cry It's a fight to the end argue

CA Stu
    SS Havabrew:
    Does anyone have any feedback on this drive set up, good, bad or indifferent. I am just trying to gather some information. I'll be buying a boat in Feb and want all the info I can gather. Thanks! I'm assuming this is the outdrive with the counter rotating dual props mounted on the same shaft? If so, I have one on my boat, it is a fine outdrive (with no torque steer), but I did have a problem with it.
    The power steering failed early one day at Lake Havasu and I wrestled with it for the rest of the day, then that evening I ended up knocking a bunk off my trailer because I couldn't turn the damn boat. It turned OK when I was off the gas, but under a load, it was damn near impossible to turn the wheel.
    The power steering part (I seem to remember it was the actuator pump) was replaced by Sun Country Marine under warranty, I gather it was a common problem with a certain batch of pumps. I got lucky and got one of the defective ones.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    01 Chaparral 235 SSi

CA Stu
    CA Stu:
    SS Havabrew:
    Does anyone have any feedback on this drive set up, good, bad or indifferent. I am just trying to gather some information. I'll be buying a boat in Feb and want all the info I can gather. Thanks! I'm assuming this is the outdrive with the counter rotating dual props mounted on the same shaft? If so, I have one on my boat, it is a fine outdrive (with no torque steer), but I did have a problem with it.
    The power steering failed early one day at Lake Havasu and I wrestled with it for the rest of the day, then that evening I ended up knocking a bunk off my trailer because I couldn't turn the damn boat. It turned OK when I was off the gas, but under a load, it was damn near impossible to turn the wheel.
    The power steering part (I seem to remember it was the actuator pump) was replaced by Sun Country Marine under warranty, I gather it was a common problem with a certain batch of pumps. I got lucky and got one of the defective ones.
    Thanks
    CA Stu
    01 Chaparral 235 SSi Oops, I just checked, mine is a DP-S. Sorry, just trying to help.
    CA Stu
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast