Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Gold Texas T!

sidewound
    Yea that's right. IN MY MOTOR!
    After my engine build I put an hr on the motor and changed the oil. I cut the filter and everything was dandy. the oil looked brand new.
    When I winterized I changed it out again with maybe 7 hrs. on the mill. It was BLACK!!!!!
    I didn't like the looks of it.
    Can anyone tell me what might be the culprit?
    I've been told it could be from running fat (which I think it was) or from running too cold(which I think it was).
    Anybody got any other ideas? Thanks folks!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

460rogers
    What type and weight are you using?

sidewound
    Hey 460'
    I was running a straight 50 after the first hour. Valvoline racing oil.
    Whatchathink?
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Jet City
    I don't know that I would be too excited just yet, the rings where still seating during that time and the oil is doing its job (suspending the ugly stuff). If you are concearned, I'd recomend getting a UOA (used oil analysis) done, they can tell you exactly what going on with wear-metals, excessive fuel in the oil, etc. Why wonder or guess.

sidewound
    Thanks JCR!
    I've got a sample but was kinda wondering if anyone had the same type of experience.
    I'll take the sample in. I just didn't like the looks of it.
    Your reply was somewhat reassurring. My thoughts also.
    Just sceered of all that bling bling being compromised.
    Peace Man!
    CESAR
    NEXT YEAR'S GOTTA BE BETTER!

victorfb
    i would think that the blackness is normal under the conditions your talking. as mentioned allready, the rings are still seating, and of course by what you say it still needs to be tuned. fix the air /fuel ratio, water temp, and everything else first before trying to fugure out whats going on inside. the oil sample is a great siggestion. i have never done that but hear its a great way to tell whats going on.
    can anyone tell me how much oil they need for a sample test? and does anyone know were to go and get this done? i am in north county san diego, just south of temecula calif.

sidewound
    victorfb
    The jar I got is maybe a half pint. A local oil wholesaler here will send it off for me here. Don't know the destination but will hopefully find out and maybe eliminate the wholesaler in the future. Hell it's probably goin to cali or somthin.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Jet City
    No problem Cesar, as for where to send the UOA's, Terry Dyson and Blackstone labs are both listed in the links on below site, they can also provide "speciman" bottles. You guys might also find the forum's interesting too.
    www.bobistheoilguy.com

sidewound
    Thanks Bro!
    The link is dachit! I found some good stuff already. A perfect addition to my "favorites". Thanks again!
    Peace Man!
    CESAR

Jet Hydro
    Black oil is the result of a rich fuel mixture. Can be caused by Cold running temp, Wrong jet`s, wrong timing,
    or just because the ring`s haven't seated yet. My guess would be all of the above. Don't get to excited.
    If you do an oil analysis, it`s best to take the first drop of oil that comes out of the pan because the metals go to the bottom and they are the first thing to come out when you drain your oil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast