Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crank ?

Heatseeker
    I'm putting together a new BBC for my blower. I bought a Callies crank. The guy that sold me my blower(and BDS as well) recommends a second keyway 180 off the existing keyway.
    Question: Are any off you guys running a single key? If so, how much boost are you pushing?
    Do I really need to do this for 10 lbs. of boost?
    Thanks.

GofastRacer
    Defenitly put a keyway in, those woodruff keys will not do the job!!... eek!

sgdiv7
    That is an expensive crank to be testing on. I guess you have to find out how much it will cost to fix the crank when it shears the key and spins on the crank. Spend the extra cash for piece of mind.

Blown 472
    or build a ford that has one big ol key that works just fine.

wfodude
    well most say use 2 but.... I run 32 over on my teflon 8-71 with 1 keyway...so far no problems in 2 seasons of running....Maybe I'm just blessed

Tee
    When I built my motor I had a second key cut in.
    After 20 min of running at low to moderate power.
    (basic dial in time) the balancer and all pulleys ended up in my bilge. They had cut the keyway too deep into the harmonic balancer and it split, broke the bolt, threw it to the floor. I had the second keyway welded up and am now running only a single. No problems so far. Not with that anyway.
    Now a stuck float, washed cylinder walls and NO compression is my problem, but the crank keyway has given me no more problems. ------- T

Infomaniac
    Always double key the crank when running a 3" belt regardless of overdrive.
    [ November 15, 2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

SUI-CY-COLE
    i agree,info!

Heatseeker
    I guess I should've mentioned that the crank is an internal balance unit. I'll buy the internal balance hub with the keyway already cut.
    Since I did make a large(for my meager budget) investment in the crank, I had already kind of figured on getting the keyway added. Reading all of your posts just confirms it for me.
    Thanks for the replies.

Fiat48
    I've always run a single 1/4" keyway. Never had a problem and have run 30 lbs of boost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast