Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Builders??

Relaxalot
    Long time lurker, first time poster. I need some help in finding a new engine for my Carrera 257 deck boat. I want something that is turnkey, dependable and will run in the mid 80's. I currently run a 454 mag with a B-1 24p to 64 mph. Can anyone suggest an engine builder in the So Cal or Havasu areas? I need steering upgrades also. Can I stay with my stock B-1? I have spoken with a few people and they have suggested 540 block N/A motors. I have been warned to stay away from superchargers because of dependability issues? In other words, where can I buy a turnkey, kickass 600 plus horse motor?? And, (this is the hard part, how much will it cost??)
    Thanks!

Havasu Hangin'
    I good place to start would be Gordon at Paul Phaff in Huntington Beach.
    (714)894-7573
    Teague makes a 620HP 509-based n/a engine...but it's expensive (like most of his stuff).
    I would think steering upgrades are a must...as for the Bravo, depending on how you drive, I would upgrade (before the grenade).

gnarley
    Originally posted by Relaxalot
    I have been warned to stay away from superchargers because of dependability issues? In other words, where can I buy a turnkey, kickass 600 plus horse motor?? And, (this is the hard part, how much will it cost??)
    Thanks!
    It all depends on how much you want to spend Blower motors can be just as reliable as N/A motors if built and tuned right. The blower just adds 1 more level of complexity to you mix and cost.
    How much cash you got???

Relaxalot
    I think I can get what I want without going with the blower. I have heard that a whipple or a procharger could boost my current 454 mag to the high 70's or maybe 80. I have been told to expect the motor to last only two seasons. I was thinking instead of selling my stock motor and buying a new 540. I will check into Phaff. Thanks for the tip. Anyone else have an engine suggestion?? How much can I expect to spend on a well built 540 that runs on pump gas that will last?
    Thanks,
    Dan

bigkatboat
    $17550.00, 540, pump (92) gas, dyno tested (before install), 710 HP, 680 torque, all under 5500 RPMs. Exhaust system extra, external steering REQUIRED. No core charges, all new. Warranty available with REV. limiter install. 45 to 60 days to build.

LVjetboy
    Make sure you know the power level (and performance) you want before deciding. Rated and actual two different things and do make a difference. I think most builders and advertisers talk rated or corrected. If you're thinking actual you may be dissapointed. Cost? Well, often you get what you pay for. Blowers can get big numbers at a lower cost but there's compromises. At the power level you're talking, I think n/a is the way to go if you can do it. At much higher power levels, blower or turbo makes sense.
    jer

DogHouse
    Another builder that I and several others on the boards have had good luck with is Larry Peto in Tucson. He is definitely worth a call, 520-623-5373.

gmocnik
    as long as everyone else is pimping their favorites, i'll cast my vote for gary teague at gt perormance in montclair. i have had their whippled 540 for two seasons with no drama...as with anything good...it ain't cheap...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast