Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I get to the second head...

Some Kind Of Monster
    And I notice that the second gasket it is missing some holes for cooling that I am almost positive that the first one had. Check out the picture. Are these necessary? Can I make them on say a drill press?
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../168312436.jpg

Some Kind Of Monster
    You can see the small holes in the gasket line up with the large holes in the heads. I think I know the answer to this question, but I am making sure..

Fiat48
    No drilling necessary. Leave the gaskets alone.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Leave them to block 90 % of the water ports
    I like your answer a lot, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Fiat48
    O.k. Drill them out then.

Some Kind Of Monster
    No drilling necessary. Leave the gaskets alone.
    O.k. Drill them out then.

victorfb
    Leave them to block 90 % of the water ports
    I like your answer a lot, but it doesn't make sense to me.
    the smaller holes are actually put there on purpose to do just what you thought, block alot of the water. dont worry about it and run the gaskets. what i would worry more about is the notches ontop of the piston/pistons. looks like you had a valve let go at some point. the notches may not be a problem but if you can, try and smooth out any sharp edges. the sharp edges will creat heat faster and can cause that area of the piston to melt. not good. you dont want to burn a hole in the piston. did you have the crank and rods checked? since the piston obviously was struck by some foriegn object, it may have caused the rod to bend or possibly damaged the crank. also, that stuff on the edge of the piston (looks like some crud) needs to be removed. if you can use a vacume with a small tip try that. if all else fails, then blow it out with compressed air. i hate telling you to use the compressed air as it basically shoves some into the ring groove. also not good. but clean it out as best as possible.

Some Kind Of Monster
    That's what I am looking to hear. Thank you. As for the piston damage that you see, it looks like you said to have been caused by a valve failure. It is now smoothed over and everything has been rebuilt since the damage occured. Don't worry, everything gets cleaned 100% before being put together. Thanks a lot!! SKOM

Fiat48
    I am just like Burger King...you can have it your way!
    The holes are small to restrict the flow of water into this area...so that the majority of flow will be through the head from end to end.
    Leave them alone. But if you do drill them out...you are just defeating what engineers at Fel pro (and other) gasket manufacturers have found.
    But it will run either way and you have a lake for radiator so whatever you deside.

victorfb
    the pic is very dark on my screen so im not quite sure what you mean by "this aligns here", are you saying that is where the holes are in the block? are you sure you have the gasket on correctly? your not even close to lining up the bores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast