Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Tray Nuts

Some Kind Of Monster
    I am wondering if it is necessary to replace the locking nuts that hold down the tray in the bottom end if they are removed? What about the other nuts/bolts having to do with the oil pump? Is it alright to reuse those? Also is there a secret to mounting the oil pickup? Or do i just shove that thing up in the oil pump really well? I'm outside working on this thing right now so the faster the response the better! Thanks!

Some Kind Of Monster
    I just tried to put my oil pickup on my new pump.. It is too small.. Is this a regular occurance? Will it work alright anyway?

DansBlown73Nordic
    The oil pick-up should be mig welded to the pump. This will make sure that it can't fall off. You could try to warm the pump up a little with a torch where the pick-up goes in the pump. This will grow the hole a little. Well its still hot the pick-up will slide in.

DansBlown73Nordic
    As far as the nuts. I would use new Nyloc nuts and also use a small amount of loctite. That way you know nothing is going to fall off. The bolt for the pump can be used over.

Floored
    if you heat the pump remove the pressure relief spring or it will lose tension in about 5-10 hours of running and you will have to pull pan again. ask how I know :hammerhea

Infomaniac
    Use an all metal lock nut on the windage tray and a little locktite just to be sure.
    Some nylock nuts will loose the nyloc stuff at temperature.

Some Kind Of Monster
    I must not have worded my question correctly. The oil pump pickup fits loose into the pump. I insert the shaft and it fits, but turns freely. I assume that this is not a good thing and would need to be welded as suggested or replaced. Do these always need to be welded? Or is that just an all around good idea? I have a welder and can do the task, but I would rather not if you know what I mean. Wouldn't the nut that holds the pickup in place be enough to keep it from moving around? I am not sure if I am being clear with this wording either. Here is a picture so that we are all on the same page. Thanks again!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...83CIMG0439.JPG

Infomaniac
    If the pickup is loose in the pump then it is probably worn by looking at the pic. Maybe a new one will do it .
    That brace should be pretty strong without welding.
    Looks like a Dooley.

Some Kind Of Monster
    Infomaniac,
    Thanks, is that a special order pickup? It is a Dooley pan. Nice catch on that. I thought I could run up to the auto parts store and buy one. I am now goesing I have to order it from Dooley? I don't really have the time to wait so would it be acceptable to go ahead and weld this one on there?

Infomaniac
    Yes Dooley is where you get them.
    Normally a weld on a pick up tube is just a tack.
    You can carefully mark the pump and pickup tube for alignment before taking it apart, take the pump lid off, remove the relief valve, make sure the alignment marks are good, have it welded all the way around the tube. that should seal it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast