Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Builders??

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by LVjetboy
    Make sure you know the power level (and performance) you want before deciding. Rated and actual two different things and do make a difference. I think most builders and advertisers talk rated or corrected. If you're thinking actual you may be dissapointed. Cost? Well, often you get what you pay for. Blowers can get big numbers at a lower cost but there's compromises. At the power level you're talking, I think n/a is the way to go if you can do it. At much higher power levels, blower or turbo makes sense.
    jer
    very good advise!!!! welcome to the REAL WORLD
    Omega

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Originally posted by cs19
    I would highly reccomend DNE motorsports in Costa mesa,Ca. a call to him would definaltly be worth your time. He has lots of experience in building stout pump gas motors, ask around on the boards here, he has a handful of customers and all of them have been more than satisfied.The bottomline is your going to spend some cash on this thing, you definatly need to make some calls and feel the guys out and see who you are the most comfortable with.
    As far as a price, it depends on what you have to start with and what yours goals are, you mentioned you only want 600 horse, thats no prob maybe even with all cast iron parts, or a decent aluminum head. If your set on pump gas compresion, you can easily see 800 horse with the right combination and run the piss out of it all day, if you can afford something like that.
    What do you have to start with? Or are you planning on getting all new stuff? I would steer clear of those "catalog" motors personally, I think they can be overpriced, besides that when you have one built you can reach your goals and not compromise with anything.
    still pimpin' I see just make sure you laminate your dyno sheet and carry it with you!!!!
    Omega

Blown 472
    Then there is this guy in oklahoma that builds some really kick ass motors. I think he is on the boards and he had a build up that you can see.

Whipped Caliber
    Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
    I good place to start would be Gordon at Paul Phaff in Huntington Beach.
    (714)894-7573
    Teague makes a 620HP 509-based n/a engine...but it's expensive (like most of his stuff).
    I would think steering upgrades are a must...as for the Bravo, depending on how you drive, I would upgrade (before the grenade).
    I 2nd that Gordon build my 565ci they stand behind what they build!!

jackpunx
    Originally posted by gmocnik
    as long as everyone else is pimping their favorites, i'll cast my vote for gary teague at gt perormance in montclair. i have had their whippled 540 for two seasons with no drama...as with anything good...it ain't cheap...
    I second that.. I got 45hrs on mine.. the onlything I do is change the oil

bigkatboat
    More or less power depends on; your cash flow, and second on how the motor is being used. Look for torque figures (a low flat curve is best), and "see it dyno run" before install. Good luck!

Originally posted by OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    still pimpin' I see just make sure you laminate your dyno sheet and carry it with you!!!!
    Omega
    What are trying to say here ? That makes no sence.

CrazyHippy
    One of our own Board members does some BITCHEN motors.
    Get ahold of Infomaniac here on the boards. I think he is in Oklahoma, but his work is awesome from what i've seen, and he seems like a real stand up guy
    BJH

Bow Tie Omega
    DNE seems to be the place to go for the biggest bang for the buck. HBJet used them, my brother (brendella jet) is in the process of doing a build up with them right now, he is very pleased with their prices. Look at October's Hot Boat Issue and they did an article on HBJet's build up, 700+ hp on pump gas, using an iron GM block and heads (rec port).

bigkatboat
    Please tell us at WHAT RPMs those figures are being made. This man has a Bravo I, I don't think he wants to run the motor much over 5500 RPMs (unless he has a B- MAX). I can build you a 'pump gas' 461", oval port, 2 bolt, JET BOAT motor that will make over 520 hp. BUT! It won't have the low end torque, for an outdrive. It also makes the POWER in a narrow band, perfect for a jet drive, dead dog in an O/I boat. Please, let's try to give accurate info. here. As in any normally aspirated motor, the "tricks" are in the heads and cam timing, so ask about HOW and WHERE the power is made. (example) You can make 700 hp many ways; a 700 cu in, at 5000 rpms, a 500 cu in, at 6000 rpms, a 350 cu in, at 8500 rpms, or a 250 cu in, at 10500 rpms. What works for you? Look at the torque! That is what moves the load (under 5250 rpms)! Thanks for reading.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast