Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Builders??

Bow Tie Omega
    Read the article, like my post says, October issue of Hot Boat, they document the complete build up of this motor. This motor is making 665 foot pounds of torque at 4500 rpm. At 5200 rpm it is making 666 ft/lbs of torque and 660 hp. At 6300 rpm, this motor will put out 610 ft/lbs of torque and 732 hp .This guy asked to make his boat hit the mid 80's from currently doing 64, that is not going to happen using a 520 hp 5000 rpm 2 bolt. Of course there will have to be some changes to make this motor work better in a I/O. In my opinion, he is going to have to shell out some money to do some work on the outdrive anyways. I think that everyone will agree that more rpm under a load equates to more speed. Your not going to get that from a 520 hp 5000 rpm 2 bolt main. To get speed you need increased rpm. To get increased rpm you need HP and torque and an outdrive to handle that load. What I was recommending was that the man give DNE a call and see what they can do for him. ANd I know this motor would be ALOT LESS then $17,000.

Relaxalot
    Thanks for all the advice. I have talked to a few builders and they seem to lean towards maintaining my current efi system, adding a whipple, reprogram the ecu, new aluminum heads, new exhaust system and new valve train. Options are outdrive upgrade, cam upgrade, steering upgrade. I am told that my current 454 with these upgrades will put out close to 700 hp. I am unsure of torque curves. These upgrades should put me in the high 70's for sure, mid 80's maybe. It is sounding expensive but fun. My engine has 138 hours on it. I am told that with these upgrades it should be a dependable pump gas lake cruiser. I guess the other option is to sell my 454 and buy a new bigger block. Is there any advantage to keeping the 454 for insurance reasons?? Thanks again ..... Dan

gnarley
    When you get INS they ask about advertised speed or top speed. If you have an accident, which speed played a part due to your modifications and the INS Co was able to tell this I doubt if they would pay the claim, as you were not truthful with them.

Fired Up
    How much more HP can you expect from just upgrading your heads? I've got the stock large oval port BBC heads on my flat. To increase the valves from the stock 2.06/1.72 size valves to 2.19/1.88 I've read makes them work much better. Or would going to a good set of aftermarket aluminum heads with longer ports and bigger valves be better? I'm turning about 6000rpm's now, 10.5:1 compression. Looking for affordable HP.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Bow Tie Omega
    Read the article, like my post says, October issue of Hot Boat, they document the complete build up of this motor. This motor is making 665 foot pounds of torque at 4500 rpm. At 5200 rpm it is making 666 ft/lbs of torque and 660 hp. At 6300 rpm, this motor will put out 610 ft/lbs of torque and 732 hp .This guy asked to make his boat hit the mid 80's from currently doing 64, that is not going to happen using a 520 hp 5000 rpm 2 bolt. Of course there will have to be some changes to make this motor work better in a I/O. In my opinion, he is going to have to shell out some money to do some work on the outdrive anyways. I think that everyone will agree that more rpm under a load equates to more speed. Your not going to get that from a 520 hp 5000 rpm 2 bolt main. To get speed you need increased rpm. To get increased rpm you need HP and torque and an outdrive to handle that load. What I was recommending was that the man give DNE a call and see what they can do for him. ANd I know this motor would be ALOT LESS then $17,000.
    Not quite sure a tunnel rammed motor is the way to go with a stern drive.

jackpunx
    Originally posted by Fired Up
    How much more HP can you expect from just upgrading your heads? I've got the stock large oval port BBC heads on my flat. To increase the valves from the stock 2.06/1.72 size valves to 2.19/1.88 I've read makes them work much better. Or would going to a good set of aftermarket aluminum heads with longer ports and bigger valves be better? I'm turning about 6000rpm's now, 10.5:1 compression. Looking for affordable HP.
    About 50hp
    and your going to take some weight off as well

Robbie Racer
    I would also recommend talking to both DNE in Costa Mesa and Larry Peto in Tucson. They both have built kick ass reliable motors for me in the past. Both can build a first class single carbed N/A 540" or 580" motor that can be extremely reliable and put out more power than your drive can handle. Good luck, R/R

Bow Tie Omega
    Actually, my brother was told by DNE that the DNE 496 would perform nearly as well with a Holley HP 950 and Torker Intake.

PHOTOGLOU
    I 2nd that Gordon build my 565ci they stand behind what they build!!
    Gordon jennings is the best. built my 1200 hp 600 ci motors 109 hrs and only rebuilt the heads at 100 hrs changed the oil at run it hard

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Here's another Gordon Jennings motor.......
    Pfaff.....Pfaff.....Pfaff.....
    Hey.....Wasup Photoglou ????
    CJG

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast