Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Builders??

Eric455
    anyhow i know of a good builder if you need help thats all PM for more info
    good luck

SHAKEN Not Stirred
    Eric!......Step away from the crack pipe!!!
    The Pfaff 600 EFI with a beefed-up drive from Max Machine Worx and hydraulic steering like Havasu Hangin said.....Done!
    I don't think I have ever heard someone say that Pfaff builds a shit motor.
    So why do you think $5K is expensive for assembly & dyno ???
    What would you pay for all that work ??
    When I'm paying $30K+ for a motor, I don't want low bid !!!
    I want someone who will be in business next year.....
    Hey....I bet you could finally sell that boat if you put a Pfaff motor in it!!!!!
    OK....Go ahead and take another hit.....I'm done !!!!!
    Hey Jay....Hope Steve got those stickers on your boat tonight.....
    He was really caught up with Bobbits boat.....
    CJG

Eric455
    Eric!......Step away from the crack pipe!!!
    The Pfaff 600 EFI with a beefed-up drive from Max Machine Worx and hydraulic steering like Havasu Hangin said.....Done!
    I don't think I have ever heard someone say that Pfaff builds a shit motor.
    So why do you think $5K is expensive for assembly & dyno ???
    What would you pay for all that work ??
    When I'm paying $30K+ for a motor, I don't want low bid !!!
    I want someone who will be in business next year.....
    Hey....I bet you could finally sell that boat if you put a Pfaff motor in it!!!!!
    OK....Go ahead and take another hit.....I'm done !!!!!
    Hey Jay....Hope Steve got those stickers on your boat tonight.....
    He was really caught up with Bobbits boat.....
    CJG
    i condragulate you on ur 30k+ motor good luck and hope you enjoy it. i got nothing els to say.
    and selling my boat had no biusness in this conversations.
    eric

don johnson
    Gary Teague in Montclair. He has been building my motors for 10 years. Currently i have twin blown 1050 HP motors that I have not touched in 2 years, short of normal maintenance, oil changes.
    I support what many have said on the board, a blown motor, if built right, is every bit as reliable as a N/A. In your boat a blown motor could be just the ticket as the low and mid range torque a blown motor developes, as opposed to a N/A, would make that 257 really fun to drive. A blown deal would also allow you to run a little more propeller than a N/A which would increase your cruise speed dramatically.
    Lastly, a blown deal is just a tune up away from 100 more HP, just change a pulley and make a few pounds more boost. Where as adding HP to an N/A deal can be very expensive. That is a really big consideration since you are prepared to start from scratch.... Once you hot rod your boat you may grow bored of its performance after a season or two and be serching for a little more. A blown deal really has its benefits then.
    Good luck!

Craig
    Another builder that I and several others on the boards have had good luck with is Larry Peto in Tucson. He is definitely worth a call, 520-623-5373.
    Larry has a 580 for about 16 grand, carb to pan.

BrendellaJet
    $17550.00, 540, pump (92) gas, dyno tested (before install), 710 HP, 680 torque, all under 5500 RPMs. Exhaust system extra, external steering REQUIRED. No core charges, all new. Warranty available with REV. limiter install. 45 to 60 days to build.
    That seems kinda pricey. Im getting more power, more torque for a lot less, although I am supplying a few parts. Even adding the parts to my price, Ill come in a couple g's cheaper.

MAXIMUS
    Relaxalot I would put a call into Paul Grichar of Grichar racing engines. He is located in Baldwin Park & works out of his house. He works alone & does all the machine work himself! Probably one of the best in the buisness!!! Also don't have to pay those high prices for some of the cool names... As far as dyno #s wouldn't worry too much & just tell him what you want to achieve. I promise he will deliver that & more! 626-962-5877 He answers the phone from 8am -9pm. Will be on vacation for a couple of weeks starting saturday! Like I said he is one of the best!

cdog
    Seems like alot of you boat only guys have alot more money than sence. 30k for a 15k blower engine is insane. Stop and look around at the hot rod scene. There are only two differences between a marine engine and a automotive engine. Cam and clearences (only if your running open cooling). I would recomend that if you live in CA or AZ you run efi. When you have to start you engine at a crowed dock and run it up to 1500 rpm to warm it up with a carb your sure to get a noise ticket or thrown out. The same parts that say Marine or Corvette cost twice as much as their like parts.

superdave013
    Some GREAT engine builders have been brought up here.
    Might as well toss my guy in.
    George @ Clay Smith Cams 714 523-0530
    support your local speed shops!

flat broke
    I am going to have to give my nod to Dave at DNE as well. Bang for the buck wise I'm way stoked about my numbers for the $$ paid. For that matter, I know people who have paid a lot more for less HP!!! Better than that, he worked WITH me to make a couple of decisions on parts selection. At no point in time did I feel like I was being told I HAD to do something. Then again knowing that spending a little bit more in certain areas going into the build will assure better reliability may have been the difference there.
    My total build including all the goodies that I bought outside of Dave's scope my total was right below 16k and I can tell you I got more than 720hp!! I'm not going into the numbers on the board because the same old DNE haters will do their thing and thats not what this thread is about. Suffice it to say that my combination runs pump gas, IS a tunnel ram motor, and made 700 or more ft lbs of torque from 5100 to 5700, so it would do nicely on a outdrive that doesn't like to live much above 5500rpm. All this from a little 498 because its what I had to start with. And this isn't a drag motor thats only meant to run for a couple seconds at a time. I've already had a couple extended WOT runs and everything is working perfect (knock on wood ) One of the coolest things about my mill, is that there isn't another one out there just like it. Similar combinations maybe, but its not a cookbook motor that you will see on every 25' cat sold by xyz manufacturer. Not that there is anything wrong with cookbook type packages.
    The only thing my cost didn't include was the fabricated tunnel ram top we made for the motor, the air breather setup, and the Lightning exhaust.
    The bottom line is that you have some very good choices available. Some of them build the same motor time and time again, and it works time and time again. Others build custom motors based on your application/budget/existing parts base.
    As an asside, BTO, I didn't realize that Brendella Jet was your bro. I'll be real interested to see his finsihed motor hit the dyno. More cubes than all of us 496/498 guys, so it should pump some real nice numbers.
    Chris

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast