Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best Engine Builders??

ARS Marine inc.east
    Seems like alot of you boat only guys have alot more money than sence. 30k for a 15k blower engine is insane. Stop and look around at the hot rod scene. There are only two differences between a marine engine and a automotive engine. Cam and clearences (only if your running open cooling). I would recomend that if you live in CA or AZ you run efi. When you have to start you engine at a crowed dock and run it up to 1500 rpm to warm it up with a carb your sure to get a noise ticket or thrown out. The same parts that say Marine or Corvette cost twice as much as their like parts.
    I'm Not much for bad rappin:
    BUT How do you figure that $30K Is insane?
    I have worked out in Florida , and back home in Chicago .
    For some BIG H.P. Engines Shops, $30k wouldnt even get you a 1000H.P. Tunnel Ram Motor, That will LIVE IN A BOAT, Plenty of Car guys have Tried it And have Failed "They know who they are!" Their is a little More to it than just Change a Cam And open up the Bearing Clearances,
    If that is what you think the 30 is gouing towards YES that Is INSANE.
    But there is a Whole nother World in a marine Motor That makes BIG "REAL" H.P. And lives in a Boat for over 200 hours Of Hammer down Drivin.
    Didnt Mean to Upset Anyone with this but There is a Ton of hours Involved in making A Marine motor last for over 200 hours making 1500 HP On 92oct Fuel
    And it get me Pantys in a curl When your average guy says You Paid To Much For That Motor You should have just changed the CAM and Bearings And You would have saved $25k

BrendellaJet
    I
    As an asside, BTO, I didn't realize that Brendella Jet was your bro. I'll be real interested to see his finsihed motor hit the dyno. More cubes than all of us 496/498 guys, so it should pump some real nice numbers.
    Chris
    Yep, hes my Bro. Joe, Dave did not say the Torker would work. He likes the Victor jr for my motor-I elected not to use the tunnel ram, but Im thinking that with all the cubes I might go with it just to get the most power available, my wallet will probably tell me to keep the single hp950 since thats what Ive got.
    Anyone considering a new boat motor should check DNE out. Just talking to him will probably convince you. Hes a killer guy and knows his sh&t, and doesn't mind answering your ?s.

flat broke
    Yep, hes my Bro. Joe, Dave did not say the Torker would work. He likes the Victor jr for my motor-I elected not to use the tunnel ram, but Im thinking that with all the cubes I might go with it just to get the most power available, my wallet will probably tell me to keep the single hp950 since thats what Ive got.
    Anyone considering a new boat motor should check DNE out. Just talking to him will probably convince you. Hes a killer guy and knows his sh&t, and doesn't mind answering your ?s.
    On the T ram issue, I was where you are 4 months ago, and I can't be happier I went duals.... except doing that t-ram top on our own (though I think its slicker than the double spacer dealio) I had a Demon 850 and was going to go single carb (Cyclone's ol single carb motor is to blame for the initial plunge to make some "real" HP ) But after talking to Dave as the efficiency level increased in my parts selection, the single carb seemed to be leaving more and more on the table. To do a kick ass big carb single plane deal was going to cost more than going to duals on a TR2. Sooo following in my previous footsteps in the build, I figgured why get cheap when the big money has already been spent.
    If its of any help, after agonizing over the intake issue with Dave, I learned that more would be gained from a better intake than a bigger carb if I had to choose between one or the other. In the end it didn't matter because I went to duals, but thats what I got out of the conversations while I was kicking around the single vs dual debate. BTW, the cnc'd Victor that he'd probably prefer costs almost as much as a 2nd 950 to go on top of your bad boy. Keep us posted on your dyno date
    And since we're both brothers of "I've been hosed by a convicted felon gelcoater who's name we wont mention" club members we have one more thing in common
    Chris

BrendellaJet
    (Cyclone's ol single carb motor is to blame for the initial plunge to make some "real" HP )
    Keep us posted on your dyno date
    And since we're both brothers of "I've been hosed by a convicted felon gelcoater who's name we wont mention" club members we have one more thing in common
    Chris
    LOL, whats even funnier is that the Victor Jr and HP 950 that I have I bought from Cyclone! Ill see about the duals. I can always change later if I want more power. 800 on a single carb in such a tiny boat should suffice though.(I hope)
    Im shooting for hitting the dyno in February, March at the latest.
    Yes, the gel on BTO's boat has some serious flaws. Too bad, looked so good when it was perfect. Now its a 10 footer, Joe can fix it though. For the money he and hacker spent it really sucks to see things go to sh%t. Hopefully doing my gel myself turns out better...

tahitijet
    You might want to try contacting Barry (Obnoxious racing engines). He is just down the road from you. He blttl my motor and far excedded my expectations. He surfs the boards regularly try emailing him at AGT001@aol.com

BUT how much did Bill Hannah pay for that big blower motor in his CP?
    Rio
    Does it really matter? The topic is BEST or FAVORITE engine builder, not cheapest motor.

probablecause
    My hat goes off to Lew Larson in South Gate. Races Drag boats and is an engine builder also. Has his own shop. Great bang for you buck if you are not in a hurry. Just my two cents.

cdog
    I'm Not much for bad rappin:
    BUT How do you figure that $30K Is insane?
    I have worked out in Florida , and back home in Chicago .
    For some BIG H.P. Engines Shops, $30k wouldnt even get you a 1000H.P. Tunnel Ram Motor, That will LIVE IN A BOAT, Plenty of Car guys have Tried it And have Failed "They know who they are!" Their is a little More to it than just Change a Cam And open up the Bearing Clearances,
    If that is what you think the 30 is gouing towards YES that Is INSANE.
    But there is a Whole nother World in a marine Motor That makes BIG "REAL" H.P. And lives in a Boat for over 200 hours Of Hammer down Drivin.
    Didnt Mean to Upset Anyone with this but There is a Ton of hours Involved in making A Marine motor last for over 200 hours making 1500 HP On 92oct Fuel
    And it get me Pantys in a curl When your average guy says You Paid To Much For That Motor You should have just changed the CAM and Bearings And You would have saved $25k
    No Offence to you man but i've been building engines for over 15 years or so.
    Alot of you marine only guys toot your own horn and act like your super special marine parts are different than everyone elses. When it comes down to it they are all made in the same place. A 540 stroker kit will run you about 4k and a dart block will run about $3,200 machined. Throw in aftermarket iron heads complete with inkonell exhaust valves and good springs about $1,500. At this point you have a stout 700 hp + engine.
    When you have a 100 mph v-drive like I had we can talk but untill then I'm not going to argue about the if's an ands of engine building.
    By the way you are comparing apples to oranges when you throw in a 1500 hp engine into the same mix as a 750 hp pleasure boat blower engine. Secondly if you don't know how to build a engine of that caliber then you should'nt own one because they never are completely turn key.
    If you want to spend 20k on an engine and 10k on a name go ahead. I'm sure they are great engines. I'm just saying that to those who know how there is a better way.
    And to complete my rant. I just built and dyno'd a 540 with efi set up to run a procharger with 8.5 compression and it dyno'd at 585 hp and 648 ftlb's of tq. Turn key for 12k. With the blower at 8-10 lb's of boost we will see 900hp +. If I had one of these marine shops build this engine it would have cost twice as much. The only exception to this that I know is Fonse performance in New Jersey. Al Sr. is a honest guy who will make some money off of you without poking you in the ass.

Check your pms there tough guy.

powerplay230
    "__________________
    How about a six pack of shut the **** up! "
    Why are we comparing V-drives to I/O's.... not the same dealio either way. ??
    :boxingguy :idea: :chi:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast