Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ceramic coating?

has anyone heard of ceramic coating a block? and would it be expensive? todd

wsuwrhr
    umm...why?
    Brian

well,...like headers it does not retain heat like chrome,.. so, would this retain heat as paint would?.. or more so? todd

Racing Ray
    Todd
    Ceramic coatings come in a variety of types. Some designed to attract heat others to repel heat and some for dissapating or spreading out heat some for lubrication purposes. Why not read up a bit about it from the innovators. The guys from Jet-Hot used to work for them and spun off to create Jet-Hot shame they did it before they had all the technology.
    Techline Coatings (http://www.techlinecoatings.com/)

but if im not mistaken , jet hot is completely different than ceramic coating, correct? from what ive gathered,...jet hot is formulated to retain heat? and ceramic coat is to dissapate heat?

135 views and 5 posts? what the hell? surely im not the only one who has thought of doing this? any input would help!

Jet City
    Todd, as far as I'm aware Jet-Hot is an HPC coating which I beleive is ceramic. I have owned a set of Jet-Hot coated Hookers (stirling silver) and was extremely pleased with both their quality and even more so the customer service, I dealt with a guy named Steve. I looked on their site and they do offer a couple header coatings in black, you might consider giving Steve a call and asking what he recomends, oh and if you mention you are a member of camaroz28.com you will most likely get a discount.
    http://jet-hot.com/pages/headercoatings.html

HOSS
    The block is steel. Aluminum disappates heat quicker.
    Now for the real deal. You don`t want to keep heat in correct? Coating the motor with anything including paint will act as a insulator thereby holding heat. There are water passages incorporated in the block for heat dissippation. Water acts as a heat transfer. Do you not wish to run water through your block? If your having a heating problem you need to address the cooling system.
    In laymans terms,,,It would serve no benefit to ceramic coat your block as far as cooling or power gains goes.
    I`ve used coatings on rods, pistons, lifter valley, crank, ect. Now this is worth the money! More hp. Proven!

Jet City
    Somehow I completely missed that you were asking about coating a block (put down the hooka), I have seen some blocks that were coated, seems like money better spent elsewhere to me.

Racing Ray
    Todd
    Jet Hot is ceramic coating it is what is called Alumacote by Techline. Same product. Jet Hot or Alumacote are good at tempatures of up to 1400 degrees. The Black Satain coating is good to 1800 degrees. The only part of your block holding heat in would be of any value is the top of the cylinders to aid in better combustion by retaining heat in that area. Personally I agree with Hoss on it's best applications.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast