Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ceramic coating?

victorfb
    i would think the reason todd was asking, is that it would look cool and aid in rusting. i dont think he was looking for a performance gain from it. to tell you the trueth, i think it would look pretty cool, especially if you polished it out a bit. though im painting mine.

Racing Ray
    I like just plain gray like my engine pictured in the avatar.

actually, my only concern was that i wanted to paint my block, but have noticed in the past that the paint had always cooked at the heads, so if my headers dont peel (cook)?... then my heads wouldnt either.right? and if im coating my heads, why stop there?, just do the whole block!
    not having any problems with the cooling though.
    thanks for the info! todd

HOSS
    Why not powder coat it? That looks bitchin` on motors. I learned over the years to paint my motors black.

well shit, if you say powder coat it why not just chrome it! now were back to it being an insulator,...are'nt we?

HOSS
    No! Chrome actually dissapates heat quicker than a painted surface. When I talk of insulators what I`m referring to is anything added to the surface of the block would act as an insulator. Go ahead and have your block chromed. But don`t say I didn`t warn ya. Bring a fat ass wallet. Powder coating ain`t all that expensive anymore. More and more people are doin` it. powder coating is a really durable finish.
    As far as being at square one,,,,your original post wasn`t all that informative on what the **** you were looking for. So any cockyness is taken by me as you being an asshole.

haulina29
    As i said in the vdrive thread aluminum coating a block does nothing to the temp either way but chrome a block or heads and your are screwed been there done that dont work . Mitch

listen hoss ,im not going to drop my pants and piss a distance with ya,... im only asking the question because i dont want it to peel away and have a burned look around the heads. When you said to powder coat, i figured that it would burn like paint considering that it is baked at around 400 deg. Now my new question to you is,...do you think that powder coat would burn on the heads at the exhaust ports? if you say PC will not burn or flake ,then i will consider your advise, of PC!
    im only looking for some advise to make a motor look as good as it possibly can, & "NO",...i would never chrome a motor (block), i was just being a "SMART ASS"! todd

thanks for the input mitch! the thought of chroming was never a thought! todd

FoMoCo
    What kind of paint are you using? I always use car paint. I either use Urathane or Base clear. the cool part about this is that you can macth any color. Its really strong. I paint every motor this way and I have been running my motor hard for 2 seasons and it has just a slight dicoloration on the exhaust side of the head.
    You cant tell from this picture, but the color of the block is the same as the Kandy trim on the boat
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...0/389Carb5.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast