Thread: Composite Props?

Super D
    Been reading about composite props - specifically the Pirhana prop with interchangeable blades so you can change damaged blades, pitch, diameter, etc in about 5 minutes. Would be good for me since we boat at the river and at big Bear (7000').
    Anybody out there have any experience with these props, or with composite props at all? I know they are a cheaper material, but they are also cheaper to buy, repair and interchange. BTW - the hub has a lifetime warranty, the blades are ~ $15 each, the whole deal is ~ $135, and they claim it's performance is equal to aluminum. Sounds good but...would like input.
    Thanks!

Uplink
    I have a Piranha, great concept. I used it on the Colorado river. I used it on a 21' Caliber1 w/350mag and it worked fine, even was able to tow a skiier. However the horsepewer is limited to 260. Just don't do any racing with it. On the other hand, tried it on my current 21' Laveycraft w/454 w/6 people on board and it didn't work at all, couldn't get on a plane, RPM's were through the roof. It couldn't handle the weight and larger size of the boat. Had to pull over and switch back to the stainless. What size boat and engine do you have? It's a great prop for smaller boats and perfect for river trips, it will save your drive from getting mangled if you hit a rock, blades will just sheer off. Also the blades will bounce back on a light strike as opposed to bending permanently like on an aluminum prop. wink <Mark>

Super D
    It's a 19' Maxum w/ 4.3 190hp. So you think it's a good thing for a smaller boat?
    Thanks

Uplink
    Yup, it will be fine for your boat. I saw a pretty thourough test of them on that Shipshape TV show. They put the blades on a press and compared the breaking point with an aluminum prop and it was very close if not slightly stronger.
    Happy boating, Mark.

Pelon
    I just picked up a Comprop 4 blade 13.5x22 and it seems to do better that the 3 blade aluminum 21 I was running before, I'm not sure what the diameter is on the 3 blade. I run it a 120 horse 16' Tahiti (mercruiser). I believe I maybe able to pull up a skier with it. I didn't get a chase to see if fuel mileage improved any, rough water that day, but my cruising is but 2 to 4 mph so that's pretty good for $90 prop.