Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Alpha 1 HP

stressedout
    gnarley:
    Can't you guys with Alpha's install a shift interupter? As you shift the momentary engine kill should prevent the damage to the drive, that was OMC's better idea & is still in use by some I think. It would be way less expensive to do something like that I think.Gnarley,
    The alpha does have a shift interupter to get them out of gear into nuetral, if it were the other way it would probaly stall the engine do to lowering rpm and loading at the same time.
    The alpha is a lot stronger than most think, they were installed on 30 + footers with twin big blocks back in the 70's and most of the 80's.
    It's all in how you Maintain them and Operate them.
    Your rear differential in your truck won't take wide open starts all the time either, sooner or later it'll wheel hop and something will break.

gnarley
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by stressedout:

The alpha does have a shift interupter to get them out of gear into nuetral, if it were the other way it would probaly stall the engine do to lowering rpm and loading at the same time..

Well it's the other way on my OMC & it doesn't stall the engine. Mine is interrupted shifting in or out of gear & you can momentarily hear & feel the drop in RPM as you shift.

Tinkerer
    The ALPHA shift interupter works on coming OUT of gear only. If it does anything other than that it isn't adjusted properly or you have an outdrive or lower shift cable that is sticking.

gnarley
    OK the point I was tring to make was maybe there is a way to make one work in & out of gear so that the torque isn't as high when shifting into gear & damaging the gears or whatever breaks on them. They have shifting dogs on the sliders or clutches?

Rayhill
    If your pockets are deep enough. The Bravo Shop offers a Alpha to Bravo kit. I have same shifting problem s with my twin turbo 350 CV23 Carlson. It has the Big Block Alpha Gear. 1.3:1??? It is pain in the ass trying to park in a tight spot. I am going to put new cables and try to dial them in better ??? Also will try lowering the idle.
    Next Year that is !

Ronnie
    I want to thank everyone who put in there two cents worth on this topic. I am totaly confused now. I was also born to hot rod and go fast. The motor I am going to build is not going to be a big deal. Again I want to thank everyone and hope to see you on the lakes next year.
    Ronnie

Rayhill
    Just keep your eyes open for a good deal on another Alpha for a spare!

wowchad
    There is a guy on Ebay that sells Alpha drives for $500.00!!! Keep looking cause he's sparatic with his auctions but I have seen him several times. wink

Bondo
    I see Alot of Trashed gears in your future.... If you were "Born to Hot Rod".... Find a Bravo...
    Merc. only used the Alpha behind the big blocks for 2 years.... That's the 2 years Before the Bravo came out....

playdeep
    There is a company called KONRAD who makes a bolt on replacement outdrive that is significantly stronger than an alpha and is a lot less than a bravo...
    I put one on an old 22ft.Tahiti bowrider that I had.The boat had a warmed over 377sbc and kept shelling drives.After I put the new drive on I never had another problem and I really abused the drive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast