Thread: Consequences of No Spark

Wet Dream
    What happens if an engine is run for a period of time without a spark going to the cylinder?

DansBlown73Nordic
    Its only running on seven cylinders...... :idea:

sleekcraft76
    maybee gas in the oil. :rollside:

Fiat48
    What happens if an engine is run for a period of time without a spark going to the cylinder?
    Oil dilution. Not much else.
    So is this true confessions and you have a dead cylinder and that's what the air sound was after a compression test?

Wet Dream
    Oil dilution. Not much else.
    So is this true confessions and you have a dead cylinder and that's what the air sound was after a compression test?
    Very very close my friend. My pickup truck appears to have a dead spark in one cylinder. (2000 F150) After driving it home, there was a hissing noise out of the exhaust mainfold with each stroke of that cylinder. I'm hoping that the cooler cylinder temp didn't crack the exhaust manifold against the hotter running running cylinders. I didn't dive into it deep, just going through the thought process in my mind.

I have not experienced this but have heard it happens... If running for extended period without spark it will wash the rings in that cylinder out because of all the extra fuel (not to mention dilute the oil with gas). Makes sense to me since I know an excessively rich running engine can do the same thing to all cylinders (firing).

Maxey
    Very very close my friend. My pickup truck appears to have a dead spark in one cylinder. (2000 F150) After driving it home, there was a hissing noise out of the exhaust mainfold with each stroke of that cylinder. I'm hoping that the cooler cylinder temp didn't crack the exhaust manifold against the hotter running running cylinders. I didn't dive into it deep, just going through the thought process in my mind.
    Hi, If it is missing that much, the PCM should have turned the MIL "ON", and depending on the strategy, may turn off the fuel to that cylinder. One cylinder missing? If so, plug/wire/coil for that cylinder if COP?

I hears that Ford had a problem with blowing the spark plugs out by stripping the threads on the holes in the aluminum heads. hope thats not the cause.

Wet Dream
    Okie, that is a big problem on the 1999 models. Luckily I avoided that one. The computer showed a missfire in plug #7 and the fule filter looked like crap. The stuff didn't even look like gas. Its been running great since.

steelcomp
    I wish I had some pics of what happens to a top fuel head when this happens. They shove so much nitro into the cyl, that if it dosen't ignite, the next time the piston comes around, you can guess what happens. Liquid dosen't compress, and it has to go somewhere, like out the sides of the head and/or block. It looks like a cross between a hand grenade and a plasma torch had it's way with the aluminum. BIG holes, BIG mess. But, hey. Weld 'em up, re machine 'em, and back on the car!