Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: seems like alot of jet peeps surf

Originally posted by superdave013
    speeking of new school and Martin's boat in the above pic.
    I bet there is more money in that thing then CS19, myself and blown472 have invested in our rigs combined.
    Mike F was always telling me about the bad ass stuff that MPD and DNE do. And he's right as those guys are right on top of things in the jet boat world. I teased him about all that high tech stuff to go so slow. Then I took him over to take a peek at what RGR racing and the Martins were up to. That's when that pic was snapped.
    That day the finals in the 7.50 bracket was Hicks with all the high tech wizzy stuff (data loggers, unblown fuel jet engine, latest wizzy Jack tricks) and RGR's Ski Flat with no data logging devices.
    Yes, Hicks did win. He was a little late at the light and Tony was a little early. Tony beat himself by turning on the red bulb.
    I wonder what the Ski Flat would run with engine out of Hick's boat? Think it would run in the 6's?
    You might be correct about what he has invested in the boat. I give those guys all the credit they deserve, they are definatly have their shit togethor.
    You got that right about those guys making jets run good. As far as "all that work to go so slow" its not that much work,are you saying its easy to build a fast flat?... Its too bad someone hasnt stepped up yet and had those guys build them a real progasser or something.They are dealing with river racers on budjets for the most part, some still on pump gas,for what they are dealing with they are getting the job done,same goes for all their river customers.
    That day in the finals. Why was he in such a hurry? It was only a 70 year old guy in a jet boat in the other lane. ...Whos boat is trick, but its not like since he has data being pulled off it, you can automaticlly drop half a second or something.,not sure what all the other hype is about trick stuff.. And yes he has an UBF motor, but hes only on gas in the brackets...no nos.I hear there are guys with way more power than Jerry in jets , but they cant even get out of their own way, its the combination thats working for them, not the data or the engine.
    How much power is that ski flat boat really making? And how much does that 146 boat make?That might answer your question on how jerrys engine would run in a flat.
    Ok the point it sounds like your trying to make is...You can go faster with less horsepower in a flat. We know that, so we are the underdogs...So when we whoop a flatty it feels that much better.
    I love the v-drive/jet battle until someone lays down a real stupid post like im sure we will see here shortly.Thats when its no fun anymore.

superdave013
    That day in the finals Mike F and I were sanding right next to Jack. We were with Tony right before he got dropped in the water. They were having some troubles that weekend and thought they had them sorted out for the final. But he didn't know what # to leave on. The boat left harder then they thought and he red lit. He didn't seemed to bummed as we all know it's pretty bitchen to see a ski flat (or a ski jet) in the finals in the 7.50 bracket. They like many others use the bracket for tuning (I'm sure he still wanted to win) so they have it together for the catagory. They did win the Ski flat class BTW.
    Hat's off to Tony for being able to hop out of one boat and jump into a completly different boat and do well in both. That must be hard to do.
    As far as my comment about all that wrk to go slow. Come on man, you know that's the pump/prop thing that we all like to rib each other with. It does go both ways.
    I do think those guys work hard at what they do. And I think they are at the very top of the game.
    And no, I don't think it's easy to build a fast flat. Well, maybe it is easy to build a fast one if ya sock enoguh HP to it. But real hard to build on that's on the top in it's class. Pretty much it's like that with any type of racing.

Originally posted by superdave013
    That day in the finals Mike F and I were sanding right next to Jack. We were with Tony right before he got dropped in the water. They were having some troubles that weekend and thought they had them sorted out for the final. But he didn't know what # to leave on. The boat left harder then they thought and he red lit. He didn't seemed to bummed as we all know it's pretty bitchen to see a ski flat (or a ski jet) in the finals in the 7.50 bracket. They like many others use the bracket for tuning (I'm sure he still wanted to win) so they have it together for the catagory. They did win the Ski flat class BTW.
    Hat's off to Tony for being able to hop out of one boat and jump into a completly different boat and do well in both. That must be hard to do.
    As far as my comment about all that wrk to go slow. Come on man, you know that's the pump/prop thing that we all like to rib each other with. It does go both ways.
    I do think those guys work hard at what they do. And I think they are at the very top of the game.
    And no, I don't think it's easy to build a fast flat. Well, maybe it is easy to build a fast one if ya sock enoguh HP to it. But real hard to build on that's on the top in it's class. Pretty much it's like that with any type of racing.
    I see what your saying.. that getting the ski flat in a 7.50 bracket is impressive. I agree, however im not familiar with ski flat, ill have to go see what ski flats normally run and what the rules are for ski flat.I agree with you on Tonys driving, from all the stuff I keep hearing and reading, it sounds like hes the man..Good Job Tony.
    I understand its the prop/pump thing Dave. Im all for it...No hard feelings, sorry if I came across that way.

superdave013
    Well back when I was racing they were in the 9's with a few in the 8's. Lew Larson's ski flat was the one to beat this year and his boat was running low 8's. Then the bling bling boat came out swinging and set the record @ 7.53 :eek!:
    I don't know all the details but some of the major ones for a ski flat are:
    2 seats
    470" max
    No sheet metel intakes
    carbs can't be bigger then 2 750's and must be stock (casting flash inside and all)
    There's more but that's just off the top of my head.

77charger
    Dave the cubic inch limit is 460 cubes in ski flat,comp flat is 470
    77(now a flatbottom racer)charger

Bense468
    A 7.53 is flat cookin, with that small of a motor. I would love to hear Jer say its all about cubic inches when something like that is said right before. My pops always told me its not ALL about cubic inches . Everyone in the jet fourm thinks if you slam a 600 inch motor in you will win against a 427 always. NOT always true. Its just eaiser to go bigger, for those that don't know what they are doing.

WILDERTHANU
    YOUR DRUNK GUY......

Fiat48
    Sounds like the old river racer class. Ski tow and side fuel tank used to be required. Class used to pay $100 to win.
    In every segment of racing you will always find the someone with an enough money to dominate a class. I'm not against that but it discourages a lot of racers who just cannot afford to compete. But now we have bracket classes.
    It's my belief that bracket classes are the greatest thing for the racer who has the limited budget. It lets beginners and seasoned racers alike have a class where they can compete and HAVE FUN. I especially like the NJBA sandbag rule.
    I never say much about jets. I just flat don't like them. Not for me. But I have been rather humbled the power some of these jets can make. In the old days, we used to have open qualifying at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning. We qualified by MPH so the cool morning air was a plus. Ken Zeal UGJ happened to be in the other lane on my run. I admit I snickered at his jet boat. When the lights came down, seemed he was 1/2 track before I even got off the plate. I did pass him, but those things leave hard! You gotta respect that.

Bense468
    Originally posted by WILDERTHANU
    YOUR DRUNK GUY......
    Not yet, I just got back from Fresno and have been in the car too long. I will be soon.

Your right, you do have to respect that. What they dont get respect for is how far they have come since those days.I posted a link to a video the other day of the first 100 mph jet. They ran blown fuel to get that v-bottom to 100 mph, and the boat looked like shit going down the track...you can do that with 650-700 horse now.
    I had a discussion with one of the jet gurus the other day about this on going battle. He said he remembers when it all started back in the circle boat days,and that it hasnt stopped since. I think now a days v-drivers cant think of one good reason why they dis-like jets.They just say that cause its real "clicky" over here.
    I do understand that problem some guys had up at CampFar West 2 years ago.Those guys that were chewing up the water,pulling intertubes and making all this noise with their slowboats..that just sucks.Thats not the case with all the jetboat owners.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast