Thread: PROP SPINS IN NEUTRAL

TANG-INATOR
    I KNOW THIS IS A ***boat FORUM BUT ILL ASK ANYWAY...I CHANGED THE GEAR OIL IN MY VOLVO PENTA SX DRIVE, NOW MY PROP SPINS WHEN IT IS IN NEUTRAL. SPINS MORE WHEN ENGINE IS COLD THEN EVENTUALLY ALMOST STOPS ON ITS OWN. BEFORE IT GETS WARMED UP I CANT STOP IT BY HAND(SO TO SPEAK), BUT ONCE IT WARMS UP I CAN STOP IT BY HAND. IS THIS NORMAL? IT NEVER DID IT BEFORE I CHANGED OUT THE GEAR DRIVE OIL. ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED......ROB

Tinkerer
    Have you ever tried to stop a fan with your hand??
    Putting your hand or any other body parts anywhere near your propeller is not smart with the engine running - in neutral or not.
    You are looking at loosing fingers or worse.

Fat Chance
    Tinkerboater:
    Have you ever tried to stop a fan with your hand??
    Putting your hand or any other body parts anywhere near your propeller is not smart with the engine running - in neutral or not.
    You are looking at loosing fingers or worse. Yea we all know that, but can you answer his question??

mickeyfinn
    I have an old mercruiser #1 drive the prop on it spins very slowly when in neutral. I did use a thin piece of wood to stop it just to make sure it was in neutral(Not hand..need all my fingers for flippin off the pwc's). We also used to have an old Bayliner with a Volvo 280 drive in it and it spun as well. I think it has something to do with the grease being thick when cold and causes them to spin a little more when cold. Use a stick (a small one. Don't want to break prop just in case) and see if it will stop. If you just noticed it after an oil change it may just be the fresh oil is thicker when cold since it hasn't been beat all to hell yet.

Warlock28
    Have had several Volvo drives, all of them did the same thing when cold!