Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hey Not Guilty

johnc
    If you get some time see if you can pass along that info on the electronic ignition for the 460 King Cobra we talked about a while back. Also, check out my other post regarding the interupter.
    Thanks

not guilty
    lets see if I can still do this
    http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gear...ition_diag.JPG
    if this comes out the but cant read #,s the first two diodes are 400v 3a p/n 276-1144 put in series and the next two are 4.7k 1/2w resistors p/n 271-030 in parrallel. all p/n are from radio shack.
    any questions I'll check later. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif NG
    finally posted this on HB pages under gearhead garage gallery - other equip. if doesnt appear here check there. NG
    [This message has been edited by not guilty (edited April 05, 2002).]

not guilty
    I finally got it on here for you JOHNC,its also on gallery- gearhead garage-other equip.Dont know whats up with webshots but again the quility of ***boat MAG comes through again! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif NG

gnarley
    Hey NG,
    Question about that wiring. I got my Mallory and built the harness as shown on their schematic and yours. One thing I don't understand is when I cut the harness and removed the Prestolite module I traced a white wire to the shift interrupter (micro switch) on the other side of the engine. That wire goes to the micro switch and has a black one on the other side of it. I don't have a gray wire that goes to the coil since the coil was contained in the module box.
    Where is this gray wire in the harness and what does it go to? Is there another component that I should look for besides the old module? What does the interrupter itself look like? I wired the diode end direct to the coil, the interrupt end to the white wire that goes to the micro SW and the resistor end to ground. After running for some time and stopping in the water it loses fire & I need to change the module. I have now just bypassed the additional wiring and said hell with the shift interrupter. You have any ideas???

Outnumbered
    NG,
    Well it must be boat season again. I haven't posted on here for a while. Hope all is well with you and the boat.
    NG, I am going to do that ignition conversion we talked about last year. I called NAPA on that part # and they quoted me $450!!! eek! I'm sure that is wrong. I looked into dropping in a Pertronix but have read they are marginal on reliability; but only cost $120. There is a Hot Rod guy here in SoCal that specializes in Small Body HEI converions who will convert my OEM distributor to a GM HEI with remote coil and module. He only charges $175 and swears up and down the quality is the best. He is all over the net with nothing but cudos on the quality. I just wondered about the resistor/diode hook-up. Should it be the same with his set-up? He says it hooks up just like the points distributor. Any advice.

not guilty
    Not to sure on the GM type mod , I've seen some prob with some people trying to use other type electronis and only lasting about a day . I know a photo-cell type wont last , the mallorys I use are magnetic if that helps.
    Try looking on e-bay , I found another on there for my new twin engine boat , it was for a 351w , but all I had to do was change the drive gear for the 460.For an extra $100 I ordered a new module for it from napa just in case because I did buy it used (never hurts to have aspre anyway , especially with twins) I still only have 200 bucks wrapped up in it.
    Anyway you go I think the diode-resistor is a must.
    I'm in the process of completely rewiring my twin while the motors are out , what a pain burningm summers comin on fast and still have one short block to get together. NG
    Also the mallory pt # is ylm567cv , you might try any performance suppliers in youre area se if any better price !
    [ April 21, 2003, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: not guilty ]

Outnumbered
    Thanks, I'll try the Mallory part #. Good to see you are still around on the boards. Better get back to wrenchin' its gettin' warmer :-)
    OL

Outnumbered
    Its $299.95 at CP Performance. Includes the complete distributor. What coil is best with this unit? What have you heard about the Pertronix drop in modules? I was trying to keep the costs down. I am putting a new 750 Mech. BG Sea Demon carb on and some other stuff. Getting expensive. Is the Mallory unit worth the extra $175?
    Thanks,
    OL

not guilty
    I believe the petronix is photo cell ?
    Personally I think the mallory is worth the x-tra simply because it has been proven to work when installed right on our set-ups. Anything else could be trial and eror and we know that gets expensive too. let alone it pi$$es you off on a Saturday afternoon when it quits! burningm
    Most drop in conversion units say not for use on OMC w/shift interupter. argue
    I run MSD blaster coils , just what I picked up first time and seem to work well.

Outnumbered
    I ordered one today from CP. Rex had them for $340. CP was only $299. The part number is 675-YL567EV. They said there is no such thing as a "CV" in that ditributor. What is the difference between CV and EV? I noticed the 302 and the 351 distributors end in CV
    I will take your advice on the Pertronix because I don't want to be messing with this thing. I got the MSD epoxy filled coil. I'll let you know how it all works out.
    What timing should I run with this set up running 92 octane? Same as the stock distributor?
    Thanks again. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated!
    OL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast