Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High speed overheating

19cobaltcd
    Thanks for all the ideas. Here is what I know for sure. The manifolds and risers were new when I bought the boat a couple of years ago. The prior owner had let it freeze up over the winter. The hose from the lower unit to the gimbal housing was just installed last summer. I went ahead and put the points back in this week and as I was trying to get the timing reset I had to back the idle adjustment screw off about 1 1/2 turns just to get it back to where it was. I still think the whole issue revolves around that electronic conversion kit. Going to try to go to the water this weekend and give her a test run. Will post what happens.

Wetter the Better
    When it gets hot do you smell rubber burning???

19cobaltcd
    No, no smells, if it wasnt for the temp gauge I would have never known it was hot.

19cobaltcd
    Took it to the local water hole this weekend, here is what I know for sure. I starts real easy, drives and shifts nice. Started across the lake at about 3000 RPM, started bumping the throttle down about 200 RPM at a time, would let it stablize at each setting, back barrels of the carb opened up about 3800 RPM. At about 4300 RPM the temp guage started climbing. Until that point it had stayed right at 160. Back off down below 4000 and the temp went back down to 160 and stayed. Dont know where to go from here. Going to drop the lower unit and inspect the impeller sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I put my old prop back on, I can only swing it to 4100 and it dosent overheat at that RPM. Oh well!

1BIGJIM
    You did not say what out drive you have. I assume its a Alpha with the 260. Check the impeller and back flush it from the thermostat housing back. I will bet that solves your problem.

WopOnWater
    I still think you have a blockage somewhere in the system. I agree with 1BIGJIM start at the impeller and check entire cooling system

PRIMEriverRUNNER8780
    The thing i am curious about is the type of water pick up system you are using. Is it a stock, low water, or transom mounted type of pickup.
    Have you had this problem in the past or is it a new problem? It does seem very possible that the impeller is showing signs of wear or one if the coolers are blocked with impeller blades. If you do end up changing the impeller, make sure you find all the blades so you can be sure they are not in the water system.
    -Mike

19cobaltcd
    Replaced the impeller last week, old one did not look bad, housing was not burnt, back flushed the system from the thermostat housing, nothing came out. Went ahead and put in a new impeller, put in new grease, put the old prop back on and went to Tablerock this weekend. WOT is 4100 RPM, speed around 49 (sorry, no gps). Will cruise all day at 3500 RPM and temp stays at 160, go WOT and you can watch the needle climb. The drive and engine are stock except for the cam, intake, and carb. I'm ready to pull the plug but a damn Cobalt probably wouldnt sink.

mirvin
    Where's your trim during all this? I've noticed that when I'm trimmed at cruising speed everythings fine but if I bump the throttle and hold it without trimming down my temp needle starts climbing. I've just gotten used to trimming down a couple notches at higher rpm's.

not guilty
    Two new impellers , but what about the stainless insert and back plate? I've had several that dont look bad but change them out and pumps like new.If I had been taking apart a second time probably would have spen a few extra bucks for the whole kit for security.
    Must agree it deffinatly sounds like a water flow prob.You still havent mentioned a visual of the oil or power steering coolers.If you had an impeller come apart sometimes you have to dig the rubber out of the coolers , backflushing sometimes isnt enough.NG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast