Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake Mead this year

wsuwrhr
    I was wondering if any of you want to plan a trip out to Mead this year, launching out of Caulville. I know that is spelled wrong. Christie and I were thinking of renting a houseboat for a week or a long weekend. I will have my jet, and a couple of other buddies will be there with jet boats, and a 40' Scarab.
    Brian

OutCole'd
    Check out Lasvegas***boats.com. Most any weekend in the Summer you will find a bunch of us at Mead.
    I have done the houseboat thing a few time. Definately the best vacations ever.

wsuwrhr
    I'll have to check out your site. We will see you in Mead.
    Brian

rude235
    COME ON UP!!!! just be sure to post a pic of you and your buddy's rides so we know who to look for. callville is probably the best place to launch from. they just redid the ramp so it's in real good shape.

SchellSchock
    In-Laws live in Mesquite. Thinkin of trippin to their pad and Launchin' in Overton..,(they summer at a cabin in Colorado and on their 53'er in Ensanada). Anyone ever launched in Overton. I've launched at Callville and it is nice.

STV_Keith
    I've been told Overton is a little shallow these days, with the lake being down. Even heard that Echo Bay has been shallow the last few months. Might want to stick to the deeper water of Cauville.

burtandnancy
    Just got back from Lake Mead an hour ago (Friday AM) Went for a boat ride yesterday out of Echo. Their launch ramp and courtesy dock are closed, the place is on the rocks, literally! Went over to the old Las Vegas Bay Marina (now at Hemminway) and there is a new ramp where the old one was, but it dumps directly into the mud. Lake Mead marina is still open for deep water launch, but they warn that by summer the entrance to the lake will be closed. Lets hope the NPS dredges or blows up the opening. Its only 8' deep and the water is expected to drop another 10' by summer. Hemminway is still questionable, its pretty flat at the end of the ramp. Government wash is closed and I haven't heard anything as of late about Temple Bar. That leaves Calleville as the last launch ramp at the lake. Thats going to be a lot of fun on the week-ends this year...

HotHallet
    Count me in! My parents have a home in Boulder City so I frequent Mead quite often! I would like to plan a Mead trip and take a day and go over to Willow beach. Really flat water over there and you can't beat the scenery.
    HH

OutCole'd
    The water level at Mead is getting scary. When I moved here to Vegas in 98 I never waited at any launch I went to. Last year in August, it was a 50 minute wait to launch & another 50 minutes to retrieve.:frown:

Buff
    I hate to sound out like some Cassandra but these low lake levels and their projected continued diminishing levels are severe bad news for us. Sure, we are gonna have water to recreate in for another decade but our kids and grandkids may find their only hot boat refuge to be the deep salty blue. We are being pushed out of our inland lakes. Powell and Mead are well on their way to being history, especially the former. The water wars are just heating up. What has happened at Elephant Butte in New Mexico is happening from Flaming Gorge to Yuma. It's not boaters per se it's WATER! Don't you guys get rid of your little squirters - a decade from now that may well be all that can run in the diminished inland lakes - jets and lake lice! Sure the Mead deep center channel will survive for some time to come but imagine it with cans that we have to go around if we want to exceed 35 MPH. I'm not a young guy and I'm scared that before I go into the bone furnace I may well be able to ride my dirt bike from Wahweap to Bullfrog. I forsee a day in the not-so-distant future when the underpaid armies of Arizona are lined up on the eastern damp clay of the Colorado Creek ready to face off against the massive but thirsty army of the Southern Californians. (The State of Northern California having split from the South years ago so as to protect their own water and keep it from being channeled to the sprawling out-of-control human desert called Los Angeles.) Buff - sorry for the rambling on here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast