Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: olds oiling fix

sleekcraft76
    im getting ready to put a 455 olds toghther for my jet . i know about the oil problams with the olds. but to save some cash my question is can i just run some oil return lines to the pan from the heads or spend the big bucks at mondello for his oil restriction kit?

fourspeednup
    Waiting eagerly for an answer to this...

Back Forty
    I'll bite...
    www.realoldspower.com
    Mondello is retired. Some used car salesman owns the joint nowadays.
    The latest bad ass Olds on the forum listed above is a 900hp 400 cube NA small block Olds. A factory block with batten heads. If somebody over there can't give you the straight scoop then somethings wrong. Actually this is a common question. Do a search over there and then ask any questions you might have.
    good luck! :wink:

malcolm
    If you make a good enough oil return system from the heads to the pan you're on your way. All Mondo's restrictors do is limit the oil to the cam bearings in the hopes that the crank will receive more. The Olds' large crank journals need a lot of oil to keep them from heating up and spinning bearings. Most people recommend the largest pan you can find (around 10 qts), and a high volume pump. I'm running an 8 quart pan with the HV pump and restricted pushrods. Only problem is the decreased oil to the rockers and valve springs could bite me one day. This combo ran hard all last summer with no problems.

Back Forty
    I'm with Malcom. Trix are for kids. It's really a simple and effective solution that Malcom has described.

scrappy
    I enlarged the oil return holes in the heads(bigtime) when I put my motor together and ran it this summer with a stock 5QT. Kept a close eye on the oil pressure and never ran out of oil. Thats all a mute point now though. Just finished tearing down the thing today and I guess I waited to long to winterize it. #3 cylinder crack big enough to put a fingernail in. This sucks, motor had 9 Hrs. on it.

I had my heads drilled in the rear, Then ran lines down to the oil pan. The only problem was the starter. I ended up putting a tee in the line and ran the line to the passenger side.
    http://cartogra.com/servlet/LinkPhot...4bcb197a&size=
    Hopefully this shows
    Tim

jrau
    I ran restrictors for about 20 hours. All I will say is after replacing the valvetrain, I went to return lines and not a hv pump but modified the stock pump for more pressure. so far NO PROBLEMS! Also after a modest breakin period, I am running a good synthetic oil. I do not spin over 5800 and it has smoked a many bow ties, and even though I tend to favor ford, fords too. My kids love to ride inflatable tubes ect. and this boat see's 30-45min. at 4800 to 5000. my oil temp is very stable and acceptable. With restrictors in this scenerio, they showed cracks and fatigue after just 20 hours. They also baked the oil at the cam bearings. Hell my distributer gear was even blue.

scrappy
    jrau----good reply. I'm not saying anything bad about mondello or their products, but it seems to me that by restricting oil flow to any part of an engine does more hurt than good. Mostly by creating unwanted heat. My thinking is that a person should address the real problem which is getting oil back to the pan. This is why I drilled out the oil return holes on my heads. Also, I did'nt say in my earlier post is I drilled both front oil gallery plugs to .080 rather than having a .040 in just one ,(somehting I learned many years ago with bbf's) and still maintained excellent oil pressure(55 at idle 80 on the gas). My point is, oil restrictors will work great at the 1/4 track, but don't use them in an engine that is at high rpm for long periods of time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast