Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: B-Max

dorC
    Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
    If their new drive will hold up under that condition and they back it up with a warranty, that would be the way to go. I am not impressed with the Bmax at all and I have seen way too many Imcos blow up. I am going to need a drive that will take 900h.p. no problem all day long and not break. I am getting tired of blowing something up almost every weekend out. I built this thing to go fast and you cant go fast if things keep breaking.
    Sounds like you really should have a #5 or #6, not a Bravo style. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that a drive designed for 550hp won't stand up to 8-900hp! If you guys want to run the big power, then you need the drive to match it! And no, a crutch won't work! You are still using a gimble assembly designed for 550hp! Before you call me wrong, put a bravo gimble next to a speedmaster and a #6 gimble!

carreraboat
    dorc
    i understand what you are saying but without heavy mods a 6 wont fit in a 25 foot cat also the 6 is designed for a 12000lb boat not a 3000 pound cat 2 diferent worlds max machine drive will hold up under a 900 hp load no problem that is why they offer a warranty it is just blown572 is having issues with his b-max and i simply offerd him a suggestion on some alternatives that my customers had sucsess with
    bo

BADBLOWN572
    Dor, I know what a #6 is believe me. I have installed a bunch of them and know a lot of people who have them hanging off of the back of their boat. The problem with a #6 is that they require an external transmission, they are a surface drive that requires them to be mounted much higher than a standard drive, and they are heavy. Combine those problems and they will not work on a 25' cat. I do not have enough room to mount a transmission, I can go no higher with my X dimension than I already am, and the drive is extremely heavy and does not want to come out of the hole very fast. I am looking for the best possible solutions. I know a lot of people that are running bravo style drives with 800-900 h.p. and have had them on their boat for 2 seasons with no problems. I would just feel better about having a warranty with the drives.
    As for the bravo gimbal, step into a heavy duty gimbal and you will be fine. I know a guy who has a single 1450h.p. motor in his boat and he has run the same h.d. gimbal in his boat for the past 3 years with no problem what so ever. So...Is it designed for that type of power, no. Does it work, aparently so.

Craig
    I spoke with Max Machine Works. They said they do guarantee everything they make,but NOT the gears. That's what I broke He did say the movement inside the case is part of the problem with the gears breaking. Said their stuff helps reduce the flex.

Jrocket
    Ive got a Mach 26 with a Bravo that has been done by Max Machine worx.I havent had one problem with it in the 40+hrs that it has on it.It has everything that they make inside the drive.Couldnt be happier with their products so far!

Craig
    What kind of horsepower are you putting through it? Did they get you for about 8 grand?
    Craig

BADBLOWN572
    Craig, I am running somewhere between 900-1000 h.p. Luckily for me, B-max has warrantied the problem 2 times and I had to pay around $650 for the last re-built. Not too bad. Just sucks to end the weekend early.

Craig
    OK, you know I think I saw your boat go blowing by us at Mohave last May, the 3rd I think. We were there for a small regatta. We were coming back to Cottonwood and it was getting rough! My frined wouldn't gas his 25 Daytona and get up on it until after you tore by
    Craig

BADBLOWN572
    Could have been me. We go to Cottonwood quite a bit. I love that place. When it gets rough, give it gas and get on top of it. Even on a 2 flag day, I won't slow down below 65. If you do, you will get beat up. Actually now that I think about it, was it the LVHB regatta weekend? I remember being up there and we stayed in the motel. We were the rowdy group.

Craig
    Yup, that was the weekend. We went all the way to Hoover Dam on Friday , saw you on Saturday. We stayed at the Edgewater in Laughlin. Boat in the day and gamble at night! That Saturday Donnie and I were tired of getting banged around. We pulled the boat early and pulled it along the water in the parking lot. Pulled out the coolers and watched folks launch, go around the corner and then come back in.
    If they do another one, we'll be back again, hopefully with my boat this year.
    http://www.justanothertoy.com/photog...P5032675aa.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast