Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydros vs flats

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Hud
    Thats the Word, point & shoot!
    Meaning once you are going you cant turn or is there a speed cut off point with them?? like cruising out to a sandbar with it or is that just the deal when at wot??

Fiat48
    To give you an idea of speed in the Hydro vs a flat. Jim Benson (Hot Blooded) was running 131 in his flat (River Racer record holder) in the 1980's. They pulled his motor out and put it in a new Fineline hydro and he went 150 on his 2nd run. I'm sure they went faster with some tuning of the boat/motor.
    I think the flat is a better overall boat for lake use. The "set up" in a flat is all about getting the boat to set quickly and have the least amount of boat (drag) in the water for speed, yet stay alive while doing it. Balance. And it doesn't come easy, but that doesn't mean you have to do all the racers do.

78Eliminator
    You gots to slow down to 30-40 to turn according to Wayne. Blown, just get a hydro!!!! Find a Sanger and we can help eachother out during the growing pains.....

Blown 472
    Originally posted by 78Eliminator
    You gots to slow down to 30-40 to turn according to Wayne. Blown, just get a hydro!!!! Find a Sanger and we can help eachother out during the growing pains.....
    I have some phone calls out on a hondo hydro right now, beating the bushes for one that was around here.

Fiat48
    Go ride in both. Then buy both.

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    To give you an idea of speed in the Hydro vs a flat. Jim Benson (Hot Blooded) was running 131 in his flat (River Racer record holder) in the 1980's. They pulled his motor out and put it in a new Fineline hydro and he went 150 on his 2nd run. I'm sure they went faster with some tuning of the boat/motor.
    I think the flat is a better overall boat for lake use. The "set up" in a flat is all about getting the boat to set quickly and have the least amount of boat (drag) in the water for speed, yet stay alive while doing it. Balance. And it doesn't come easy, but that doesn't mean you have to do all the racers do.
    Stay alive?? ok that leads me to another question I was watching some boat drag vids last night and the flats seem like a hand full and fly for what ever reason I dont know and the hydros seemed to pile up after losing a motor and pulling the front end up, am I off base here??

Blown 472
    Originally posted by Fiat48
    Go ride in both. Then buy both.
    After tonight when I am 210 million dollars richer

78Eliminator
    Blown, I was funny about how the hell they turn too, but once you sit and look at one, you will understand.
    At speed, the ass end of the boat is riding ONLY on the prop, and there is a rudder in the back. Now imagine turning the rudder at speed. There is nothing to pivot off of except the prop. If you turn the wheel, you will just rock the ass end of the boat back an fourth like a cradle. Now when you come off the gas, and the back end (which was at one point blown out and riding on the prop) is now settled in the water, your rudder now has something pivot off of to make a turn. Until you walk around the hydro and look at how it works, it's kind of hard to imagine.....
    I go out to my little storage tent and hang out with my hydro every night, spend "quality time" with her......

78Eliminator
    Blown, make sure it is a DRAG Hydro with OUTBOARD steering. The ski hydros are not as stable in the triples.....

Blown 472
    Originally posted by 78Eliminator
    Blown, make sure it is a DRAG Hydro with OUTBOARD steering. The ski hydros are not as stable in the triples.....
    Ok, Outboard steering meaning?? The one I looked at has cables inside the boat that go to the rudder, is that what you are talking about?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast