Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dammit duane

quiet riot
    You just had to go and get my interest up on the jetaway. Now I took the bearing cap off and look what I found!
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...lines_0001.jpg
    Now I suppose I should take care of this before I add the couple hundred extra ponies this new motor should make. I assume these splines should be straight .
    Pretty sure this happenned when the al impeller let go at the drags. Funny thing is the shaft still turned true in the back of the pump where the imp is. Matter of fact its only out by a few thou on the front where pictured too.
    Is that bearing pressed on the shaft? Does it just come out with the shaft? Don't think I'll be pulling it out over the twisted splines anyhows.
    jd

Duane HTP
    Yeah, It's time for a shaft. But glad you found it now instead of the middle of the summer.
    Yes, the shaft and the bearing come out forward after the impeller is removed. Then the bearing will press off, Don't use that old bearing on the new shaft. Put a new one in.

quiet riot
    Duane, I'm guessing what caused this was some air trapped in the bowl. It freewheeled for a split second when I floored it from a stop at the last drags I went to. On the last run one impeller vane tore off and jammed in the pump. I've never had it cavitate before when taking off until I put a droop on it. I'm assuming that burp valve thing you have will take care of that. I was thinking of your inducer but it always pulled hard from the get-go before the droop, what do you think?
    Maybe its just time to give you the whole damn pump since I was thinking of going with a jetaway, ss or bronze imp, and now a shaft too.
    Do you think a stock shaft should be ok keeping in mind I should be well over 800 hp with the new motor on n2o? Is there any diff with this legend pump over a berkely or is it just the different size exit from the bowl?
    Thanks,
    jd

Duane HTP
    Quite Riot, check your PM.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    GREAT THREAD, PLEASE MORE DETAILS...BILL.

Bense468
    I have a shaft sitting in my garage that had the same thing happen to it only worse.

You guys need aq shafts, that will never happen again after you get the new one.

cs...how much is an AQ shaft?

quiet riot
    GREAT THREAD, PLEASE MORE DETAILS...BILL.
    Don't floor it with n2o if your pump aint hooked up! Especially don't do it a couple runs in a row with an alum imp or the impeller will grenade and make the rest of the pump start looking funny like this. BTW, I did take 2nd cause I lost the final when this imp broke and caused the problem (expensive second place that was (billet al imp, pump cleanup, and now a shaft.)
    jd

LVjetboy
    I was just going to say, al impeller? Maybe the true cause of all that twisting.
    jer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast