Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hook

Foggerjet
    I think I understand how to measure hook, with a straight edge and all. My ? is does the boat need to be off the trailer to accuratly measure this? My boat sat on the trailer for six years without moving, and a friend said I should measure it. On the trailer it has none. Is it possible that it could have some while in the water? I'm an amateur so please don't bash me too bad. Is hook a problem at all speeds or just for y'all fast guys?
    thanks
    Fog

Jake W
    I would say that it is a problem .Taking the hook out will let the bottom free up witch results in MPH.Will a boat run with hook for sure but same power set up with out the hook will give you more mph.
    Did you measure about 3 to 4 feet down the boat that is where you will find the hook not in just one or two feet and at least check it 2 strakes up.
    I do not think the trailor will interfear?
    Jake

ChetCapoli
    If you have hook, you will see it on or off the trailer. Eyeball each strake as a quick guesstimate, then measure it like hobojake said.
    Got an extra hot hamsan there jake?? Go good right about now.
    CHET

Jake W
    Chet you must be the shit if you can see 1/8 to 1/4 inch hook in 4 feet.
    I got your hot hamsam right hear bitch.He he he
    Chet you are my best friend I love you man.What would we do with out your great posts.
    Jake

youngster
    perhaps from time to time get some information from these forums!
    chet= thread robber!

HBjet
    Originally posted by ChetCapoli
    If you have hook, you will see it on or off the trailer.
    I must have some really bad eye's... I couldn't see this with the boat just sitting on the trailer...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../20hook001.jpg
    But what do I know!

Foggerjet
    Thanks guys. I used a long straight edge for checking cummins blocks for warpage. about 4' I guess, and came up pretty far up the bottom. I measured virtually none. This is the first time I've even attempted to measure this, and I could have (easily) done in wrong.
    Thanks for the input.
    Fog

Jetty 468
    Best bang for the buck in MPH ,but does not sound like you have much hook in it ? Nothing like the first trip out after you remove the hook in one ! My case mid 70's Thahiti HEAVY ass water plow , ( Which Is For Sale ) water coming off the boat was about 2' in front of me ! Removed the hook about 1/4"and the first thing I notice was water now is about 1' behind me ,next thing was the boat is now FLYING off the rollers instead of pounding through them and the most important one was STOPPING IT , coming in I was heavy in the pedal and trimmed up high enjoying myself and coming up on the no wake zone well, after I got out of it I was still getting it on past the bouys and I was looking in the cove for the man and grabbing some reverse! Bottom line If you got it ,get rid of it

ChetCapoli
    Originally posted by HBjet
    I must have some really bad eye's... I couldn't see this with the boat just sitting on the trailer...
    But what do I know!
    I dont think it's your eyes pal. (although they might be off a little having the glare from all the gold you have around your neck shining in them all day long) You just have the money to have these things done for ya. I dont think you ever looked at the bottom of your boat while it was on the trailer. Why should ya?
    Here's a little trick HB....you have to get your knee and possibly your hands dirty though....get down on one knee at the back of a boat that has/might have hook and look down the strakes from the transom forward and tell me what you might see ok??? Better take off the rope chain before you do though so you can actually see something other than glare. LMAO!!
    CHET

Jake W
    Chester What I didn,t get quoted but HBJet did I think I gona ****n cry.
    Jake:cry:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast