Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunday morn read

Blown 472
    Bush Flopped Big-Time in his Defense of Iraq
    The misbegotten war follows a tortured path to a difficult end
    President Bush was beyond pathetic on the issue of Iraq during his press conference this week. If he and his handlers expected an upward blip in the polls from a week of presidential statements and speeches devoted primarily to Iraq, they're in for a major disappointment.
    Bush has lost the American public on the war, and why he deserved to lose it was illustrated in spades by the press conference. He was confused and confusing; he made blatant misstatements of fact; he used phony arguments against critics of the war; he offered a false picture of progress in Iraq, then blamed the media for not telling that story. We will succeed in Iraq ultimately, he said, because he "believes" it. And, by the way, U.S. troops will be there at least until 2009.
    Bush apparently would like you to forget, and you shouldn't, all those breezy predictions from administration officials before the war that Iraq would be a breeze for U.S. troops. They would easily crush armed resistance, be welcomed with open arms and flowers, seize Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction, stabilize the country with minimal troops, quickly get Iraq on its feet and able to rebuild itself with oil revenues, then leave. No one mentioned being in Iraq in 2005, let alone 2009.
    But there were no WMDs; troops are constantly in danger; Iraq is still unstable, unreconstructed, full of sectarian violence and inching toward civil war.
    The administration frequently has changed its story on why we went to war, but the strangest yet came in Bush's answer to Helen Thomas, the octogenarian journalist who has more courage in her toe than is evident in the entire White House press corps combined. Bush invaded Iraq because the Taliban in Afghanistan provided safe haven for Al-Qaida. Following Sept. 11, Bush said, part of his job was to "make sure that we didn't allow people to provide safe haven to an enemy. And that's why I went into Iraq. ... The Taliban provided safe haven for Al-Qaida."
    Bush went on to say that the invasion ultimately occurred because Saddam "chose to deny [U.N. weapons] inspectors, chose not to disclose." Actually, Saddam allowed the inspectors entry, and they were doing their job -- though finding nothing. They asked for a few more months to finish, and Bush declined, the strong suspicion being that a clean WMD bill for Iraq would remove all legitimacy for an American invasion.
    In one form or another, the American people have heard all this before, and most no longer believe the administration. They see through the phony talking points, the half-truths and the outright falsehoods. And they certainly never agreed to a war that would last six years or more.
    Bush said that those who do not support an open-ended commitment to Iraq fail to take Al-Qaida seriously, but that has never been the case. What the critics do not take seriously is this administration's tactics for dealing with Al-Qaida -- especially the invasion of Iraq, which had nothing to do with Al-Qaida or the attacks of Sept. 11.
    The folksy, jocular Texan gambit that Bush played at the press conference has grown tiresome. It no longer suffices to throw a cloak of camouflage over the truth about Iraq: Bush has a huge mess on his hands, and the American people are paying the price -- in the blood of their young people, in the standing of their nation in the world and in mounds of treasure they could put to far better public and private uses.

1978 Rogers
    Just stop it. How about come up with a real logical solution also.

Blown 472
    Just stop it. How about come up with a real logical solution also.
    I am not in charge, nor would I have invaded in the first place.

Seadog
    Blown, you are nothing but a piece of *^$@. You are a racist bigot hate monger. It is obvious that you have no opinion but that of your radical Iman. May the bird of paradise drop you into an active volcano full of lawyers. Have a good day. Go get your welfare check.

SmokinLowriderSS
    I am not in charge, nor would I have invaded in the first place.
    Just as with all the liberal (er, current "opposition party") screechers. "We are not in power, so we do not need to have any better ideas, we just have to oppose."
    I do not seem to recall the same crap from the Republicans when they were "the out-of-power opposition party" from 1940 to 1990. :idea:

Blown 472
    Blown, you are nothing but a piece of *^$@. You are a racist bigot hate monger. It is obvious that you have no opinion but that of your radical Iman. May the bird of paradise drop you into an active volcano full of lawyers. Have a good day. Go get your welfare check.
    I am a racist? now that is some funny shit there. The majority in this forum would kill any non white just because and I am the racist? Sorry don't fallow any religon so try again.

SmokinLowriderSS
    The majority in this forum would kill any non white just because and I am the racist?
    You had best start backpedaling on that one right now blown.

Blown 472
    You had best start backpedaling on that one right now blown.
    How so?

canuck1
    How so?
    Cause you are a racist biggot hate monger.......thats how
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Blown 472
    Cause you are a racist biggot hate monger.......thats how
    BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Speaking of which, where is he? must be at the brown shirt spring break.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast