Thread: Proper winterizing

Mopar426
    I was out in Phoenix for the holidays and I winterized my 85 Ambassador, not so much for cold but for sitting until late spring. It has a stock 454 that I fogged. I set the idle up and poured tranny fluid in the carb till it started smoking real bad, then I shut it off. I WD-40'd all the chrome and linkages, took the batteries out greased all the cable fittings and tarped it. Was this enough or did I leave out some stuff? Oh, I filled both tanks and used fuel stabilizer also. My executive is here in New Mexico, but the engine is in the garage, and I left the fuel tanks totally dry and covered it.

DansBlown73Nordic
    I have not got a clue how cold does it get out that way? My luck would be it would be a freak deal and get down to
    Sounds like you did all the correct things.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    here's my $.02. use marvel mystery oil down the carb(4 oz or so). leave your gas tank 3/4 full, and stabilize the gas. after stabiziling, but before the engine fog run it to temp to get the stabilizer in the carb. at the marina we've found the carb(and fuel pump) can get strange leaks if not kept wet with gas on the inside. the w-d is ok, but crc 656(part #crc 06007) is better marine spray. make sure to use at least -50 non tox anti-freeze. i made a y valve set-up on the pump output for summer flushing, and winter storage(it's 5 degrees here today). get the non tox to fill the block and exhaust, and keep filling with the non-tox till it comes out as pink as it went in. it's saved my ass for a bunch of winters(plus we do 800 boats that way at work)...bill.

Thunderbutt
    I live at LOTO,so I take the carb's off and put them in the garage and drain the gas lines. drain the water from the block,headers, oil cooler, trany & v-drive cooler and sea strainer. Top off the tanks with a stabilizer. Then I pray that it will be ok. One of the guy's here told me if I can positively get all of the water out that would be better then putting the pink shit in. It's worked so far.

webbcraft2150
    If your rig is in a heated garage in Rio Rancho, no problem. If is isn't heated, you hafta winterize it or it will be a sad spring. In a pinch you can put a 100w drop light under the block and close the cover. I drain my block, including the "cool fuel" cooler. Refill with a mixture of RV antifreeze and rust inhibitor. Leave the drive in the down position and take the battery out. Dont forget to inflate the trailer tires to maximum and keep the bow up.

Mopar426
    Thanks for the info. I'm new to the area. Hasn't been brutally cold, but winterized the boat anyhow. My engine is in my shed/shop being rebuild, so no worries there. I want to find out who all the hot boaters are in the Albq area and see where they run their boats.