Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hot Boat magazine's review of the Lavey 2750

Laveyman
    I must say my bubble just got busted, big time! I've had my eyes on a new 2750 with a Teague 800. I was planning to plunk down the money this spring and go for it. I was gonna compare it to a few other boats next weekend at the show, but must admit I was leaning towards the Lavey because of my relationship with them and the quality of their boats. That is until I read the review in Hot Boat! HOLY CRAP BATMAN! What I was told a while back by one by one of our "Forum Gods" is the real schiznit!
    I was told by one of our own that the 2750 has a wicked handling problem over 75 MPH and they'd never own one for that reason only. They went for a ride in one and were damn near thrown from to boat it was so unstable. I had an invite to go for a ride in that same boat over Thanksgiving, but couldn't get away that weekend. Man I wish I had now.
    What really torques me is Lavey's respone to the problem. It is my understanding that some of the owners have reported the same problem to Lavey, and were told it was "fixed" in models manufactured after thiers. And now Hot Boat tests one, presumably after the alleged fix was put in place, and it still porpoises and chine walks at speed! WTF! When Hot Boat asks Lavey about the problem, Lavey says there's noting wrong with the boat! Are they NUTS?!?!??? They have customers and an independant test telling them there's something wrong. One would think they would take a long hard look at the hull design, CG, or what ever wouyld make the boat handle this way. Or at the very least, not sell it with the power to achieve the speeds where it becomes unstable.
    I figured that with the Teague 800, I would be in the mid 90's. Stuff happens really fast at that speed, and I don't want to stack up a boat and hurt someone. Besides that fact that if you're going to spend in the ballpark of 150 grand for a boat, it damn well better run smooth and sweet.
    Does anyone have a 2750 that will do 80+? If so, is the article in Hot Boat true?

mbrown2
    If I was buying a 28 V, Howard would be at the top of my list and DCB would be 2nd...
    DCB's are first on my list in most catagory's but the numbers on the Howard 25 and 28 Bullet's tell the story...they are able to run the 100+ plus speeds w/900+ power and with stability...

Laveyman
    The 28 Bullet was the main competitor for my dinero!

XTRM22
    Jeez Jimbo, Take a pill
    You've been to tight with those Lavey guys for long enough to go talk to em about it before getting so wound up. I was fixing to call you cause when I read the article it sounded ok and looked awesome. Maybe I missed something. I've always been impressed with Lavey and Warlock for their F1 participation and wins, but my simple brain says just like a nascar, fast is loose. ok now that we've got that settled, blow those Lavey guys off and let me introduce you to Dave.
    Chuck

carbonmarine
    IF YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING AT 28's.........
    ** SEE THE SUNSATION 28 " AT THE LA SHOW.....
    Very solid, even at high speeds like the one you just reported, but for real stability at those speeds ,, you gotta go with two hamsters !
    Rick32

i do!

SoCalOffshore
    For the price you are talking, you could step up to a twin 496HO 32 foot Schiada Offshore. That boat will run 80 mph plus and have a ton of room. If your heart is set on a single engine, check out Howard, Hallet, Shockwave and Sunsation to name a few.

BENZEEN
    I have never seen a write-up on a 2750 that did not have trim tabs, even with mellow power. I always found that odd. Just my .02.

Starloans
    I get 80 & change on my 28 Extreme. No probs. I don't have tabs. Sometimes at higher speeds in chop it will roll off the pad but no chine or weird shit, something I think tabs would help.
    I think the Flyn Vs go into the 90s with their 28. Maybe they have some comments on handling above 80 in a 28.

roln 20s
    The Lavey is a real nice boat- but as MBrown (a loyal DCBer put it)-- Howard has the numbers, and the write ups, and they don't lie. One single engine V I would consider buying and going that fast in. Plus- their boats are some of the best manufactured in the industry. Definately a great boat- and a good place to deposit the green!
    Roln 20s

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast