Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: So Are You Still Observing the Picket Lines At The Grocery Stores?

Kilrtoy
    38 an hour Rich,
    That high Desert air is getting to you.
    There is no clerk making 38 an hour checking, maybe managing the whole store.....
    If there is a clerk making 38 an hour or 73K a year,
    then I will cross the picket lines and tell them all to **** off.
    Ill shop else where, price club or vallarta

Ziggy
    Originally posted by Kilrtoy
    38 an hour Rich,
    That high Desert air is getting to you.
    There is no clerk making 38 an hour checking, maybe managing the whole store.....
    If there is a clerk making 38 an hour or 73K a year,
    then I will cross the picket lines and tell them all to **** off.
    Ill shop else where, price club or vallarta
    I think what Rich was saying is that some of the top store management(non-union) peeps are working the checkouts during this strike period.

JetBoatRich
    I love this place, my wife and asked him twice could not believe him either. She had been there since a kid, twenty years later who knows. He may have stretched it. She was only working 30 hours a week at strike time.

C-2
    I’m tired of buying 3rd world produce that looks like it was stuck on the shelves when the strike started. And buying 15lb. bags of broccoli from Costco isn’t cutting it either.
    I still can’t figure out why the employees haven’t beaten the crap out of their union rep’s and officials. Talk about the wool being pulled over somebody’s eyes….the union knew from day one they couldn’t afford a long term strike; they knew the locked out employees could not collect unemployment benefits; they knew the striking/locked out employees would lose their benefits after 60 days; yet they told the union members it was/is in their best interest to strike? To quote Sam Kinison “OH OH OH OH OOOOOOHHHHHH, ARE YOU F*!@#!N’ STUPID!!!!!!
    My wife has at least five of her friends that have left the grocery business all together as a result of the strike. OH DUH, guess the union forgot about that possibility as well….realistically losing 1/3 of their members since they have gained employment elsewhere.
    “Out of touch” is right…waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of touch. Dumbasses.
    Union reps are now telling their members this thing might be over by the 1st of the new month. Too me that sez they are probably accepting the original deal that was proposed to them before the strike. Dumbasses.
    Good news is I understand Spanish better; I’ve gotten used to (and now kind of enjoy) listening to obnoxiously loud mariachi music while shopping; my eyes have adjusted to the strobe and flashing siren lights...and I've lost weight!

Kilrtoy
    Good news is I understand Spanish better; I’ve gotten used to (and now kind of enjoy) listening to obnoxiously loud mariachi music while shopping; my eyes have adjusted to the strobe and flashing siren lights...and I've lost weight!
    That is too funny....
    I put on the spanish station when going to the market to get the wife ready for the culture change....

Havasu Hangin'
    Both the Retail Clerks and big three have lost more than they would have paid (if they would have caved) over the entire contract. Both sides are digging in because any settlement here will have ramifications in negotiations across the country.
    From what I understand, the union has agreed to share the cost of healthcare benefit increases. The chains want to institute co-pays...which opens the door for co-pay increases on future contracts...so the union is standing firm. Just the rumor.
    To the average clerk, it won't matter...they'll still be paying more for benefits- it's just how it's structured. The last contract was negotiated with little provisions for sharing healthcare increases, and the chains ate a 13% increase.
    Essentially...those people standing in front of the stores with signs (and the stockholders in the chains) are pawns. I don't think the senior management of the chains and unions have given up salary....yet Safeway has lost $254MM in revenue last quarter alone.
    Burd (Safeway CEO) has a reputation as a union-buster, but I don't think they'll be able to close for 30 days and re-open- the stockholders would never allow it. One option would be to close and re-open (24 hours?) under a new banner...but they'd walk away from any brand-equity they've built (or bought).
    Rumors are that the pawns will be on the picketlines into April...with thier benefits running out this month.

Havasu Hangin'
    ...the Food 4 Less contract is up in February.

CARRERA
    No not me.

Rvr2Bch
    We have had huge problems with the people on strike here at our local Vons. They would harass us as we drove by, and were going into the Sav On next door. When I aproached them and explained that we are going to Sav On, and not Vons, they stormed away yelling "I don't have time for any of your negative B.S. Right now!!" After that, we decided not to honor the picket lines any longer.
    Here is a quote from our local paper...
    Demaegt, an unofficial union spokesperson and self-appointed agitator, doesn’t mince words. He compared the slow trickle of Vons customers who don’t honor picket lines to the slow acceptance of the holocaust by Germany’s middle class.
    “The scab is the lowest form of humanity that ever existed on this earth,” Demaegt said.
    Click here to read the entire article (http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/ne...news2004/0122/)
    -Rvr2Bch

Tab
    I'm not crossing the picket line because of my cause. My cause is I don't have the time to shop because I have to work 6 days a frickin' week to pay for the health insurance premiums for my family.(The wife however does, and has crossed since day one because the family has to eat. She however leans toward Stater Bro's, etc. that aren't striking because she doesn't want to hurt the feeling of the local Ralph's employees). All that having been said,.............The problem is escalating health care costs. It's kicking all of our ass's!!!!!!!!!!!! What needs to happen is these unions need allign(that does't look right) with other industry organizations that have power but aren't necessarily unions(aicpa, etc), to put the cumulative pressure of the masses they can gather, and then lobby to put into action measures to control health care costs. I'll have to get back to you all re just how the hell that's going to work.....

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast