Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broke down Dodge

djdtpr
    Today the wife and i were headed home after having breakfast and all the suden my truch just shut off like someone just turned the key off.It is a 2001 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with these trucks?I definatly think that this will be the last dodge i ever buy it has been nothing but a pain in my a** from day one.Any help or advice would be apreciated.
    Thanks
    Danny

Squirtin Thunder
    Danny just piss on the tire and let Jay take it off your hands.

djdtpr
    Jim thats probably what i need to do this thing has been a pile O junk from day one.I had to get rid of the chip cause it was eating up trannys the power windows took a dump and i had to replace the regulators in those and now this.Fine piece of american made junk.

Outnumbered
    Of all days for a car to break down mine decided that today was the day.It just turned off like someone just shut the key off.It is a 2002 dodge diesel,has anyone else had any problems with theirs?This will be the last dodge i ever buy this thing has been a pile since it was new.Any advice would be apreciated.
    Thanks,
    DannyChevy Trucks must suck too then:
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99014

bigq
    Jim thats probably what i need to do this thing has been a pile O junk from day one.I had to get rid of the chip cause it was eating up trannys the power windows took a dump and i had to replace the regulators in those and now this.Fine piece of american made junk.
    I think if you want a real "American Made" truck, then buy a Nissan ot Toyota and stay away from the so called big 3.

Nubbs
    Does it still turn over? If so, I'm guessing the lift pump died. The lift pump feeds the injection pump. I've seen it before where the lift pump will die and the truck won't run. Keep us posted.

PHX ATC
    I would guarantee it...lift pump toasted and probably took the injector pump with it.
    What is your fuel pressure?
    Pull the codes off your odometer and let me know what they are.

dtr352
    A friend had a similar problem on a ford diesel. Ended up being a cam sensor. Not sure if its the same for you though.

djdtpr
    The lift pump has about 4 lbs of pressure.I pulled the codes and they are P1688,P1689 which both i have gathered as injection pump failure.Thanks for the replys i apreciate it.
    Danny

PHX ATC
    Exactly as I thought. You should be pulling at least 15 pounds at idle and no less than 8 to 10 at WOT.
    Yes, those codes are for the dreaded injector pump issue. I would replace the lift pump first, look at the fuel pressure and see how (if) it runs, then replace the injector pump if it needs it.
    Is it still under warranty? The injector pump is a HORRIBLE design and a known weak spot in the Cummins. If it's not under warranty, check with Cummins direct, a dealer, I mean, as you can get them cheaper there than Dodge. I've heard it's a relatively easy job that can be done in a day if you're mechanically inclined.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast