Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Blower Thermodynamics

Fiat48
    Infomaniac: Try a product called Pro Blend Alcohol lube. 1 can to 55 gallons. It works so well, that I only WD40 the system when the engine sits 3 months or more. I don't even drain the tank between races. I discovered how good it was by total accident. We left a race with the alcohol still in the system, was going to WD40 the system when we got home. We had an engine failure in our tow vehicle in the middle of nowhere. In all the confusion, the alcohol got left in for 6 weeks before we remembered. System was clean, no damage, no corrosion. wink

GofastRacer
    Fiat48:
    Infomaniac: Try a product called Pro Blend Alcohol lube. 1 can to 55 gallons. It works so well, that I only WD40 the system when the engine sits 3 months or more. I don't even drain the tank between races. I discovered how good it was by total accident. We left a race with the alcohol still in the system, was going to WD40 the system when we got home. We had an engine failure in our tow vehicle in the middle of nowhere. In all the confusion, the alcohol got left in for 6 weeks before we remembered. System was clean, no damage, no corrosion. wink Wow, 6 weeks!! eek! where do you get this stuff??, if it's that good, F*&K the gas, I'm switchin to alky!!... eek!

Infomaniac
    Thanks guys. When I buy a drum of alcohol it has a bottle of top end lube mixed in. Choice of cherry or grape. I use the WD 40 anyway. May not even need to. I will buy some pro blend and give it a try. Thanks
    You know I run it every week sometimes twice. Regular use like that does not even require much maintenance. When it sits and absorbs mositure is when it really becomes corrosive.

Nstigator74
    Fiat, I'm using Redline top lube, does work as well as Pro Blend?

Badboat1
    And yes Info does have a 55 gallon drum in the back of the truck he did when he came to Texas any way
    Badboat1

Fiat48
    I am not sure about Red Line's lube. I was winning the Pro Blend through contingencys in the Alcohol car so that is the only brand I tried. Free was a good price. I have not used any other Pro Blend products but have heard good about them. I'm not much of a "bottle magic" guy. But I like the Alky lube.
    Info and can buy here http://www.pro-blend.com/tech8400.html
    [ January 16, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: Fiat48 ]

Whipple Charged
    Q58, sorry, didn't read your message clearly.
    hulshot, just putting a 1471 does not mean it's going to be cooler. Blower speed is not the major componet to temp as much as leakage is. A 1471 has more clearance because the longer rotors, as well as a larger discharge opening lending itself to more leakage than something near a 1071, so pick a supercharger that is going to fit the motor better, a 1471 should only be used on 1300hp + engines or race engines.
    Roots blowers typically cannot run the teflon/nylatrol strips because it either heats up and expands too fast, therefore seizing up, or losing clearance within a short time. Example is that drag racers, especially the top fuel teams changes strips every 2 runs.
    An example of methanol cooling the air charge, with our race supercharger when drag racing, we saw boost levels around 60lbs and discharge temps were in the area of 100-110 degrees where a roots hi-helix 1471 would be around 300-350 degrees, so methanol is a incredible conductor of heat.
    As for the flashpoint of gasonline, ignition temp is near 752F for premium gasoline, methanol is 842 while av gas is 932, it's more dependent on the air fuel ratio to light the fuel. Think about putting a cigarette in a puddle of fuel, it won't light, thats because theres too much fuel to air, a rich condition, with vapors, theres far less fuel and closer to 18:1 or lower. Now the hotter the fuel or air around it, the more tendency it has to light, but it's more predicated on the air fuel ratio.
    Stoich #'s:
    Gasoline 14.7:1
    Methanol 6.47:1
    Ethanol 9.0:1
    Toluene 13.5:1
    Benzene 13.27:1
    If methanols water content gets to a certain mass, it will become a acid that will eat through virtually any surface, thats why most "pickle" the engines with gas or WD40 after running, because it can eat through anything.
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Unchained
    Dustin, Thanks for all that tech info.
    I have a question,
    To make 15 lbs boost at 6000 rpm in a 500 ci engine how much HP does it to drive a,
    Screw blower
    Roots blower
    Centrifugal blower
    Or what percent of the power output does it take to drive it?

Unchained
    Does anybody have an answer to the
    "How much horsepower does it take to drive the blower" question that I posted above?

Whipple Charged
    Unchained,
    This really depends on blower design, blower size, etc, but in an ideal situation, this would answer your question in rough form:
    screw:75
    roots:225
    centrifugal:90
    Thanks,
    Dustin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast