Thread: CAM QUESTION???????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I have the cam out of my motor that just died. It has about 6 hours on it. Do I need to rebreak in the cam? I have a new set of lifters going in because the old ones have metal in them. The guys at the local speed shop said I have to break the cam in again because I am using new lifters. Is this true???
    Thanks,396

Hallett19
    well, unless you remember which lifter went to which lobe. That is what I did, my builder said that would be ok.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    He just said he is putting in new lifters and yes I would keep it at 2500 for 20 minutes. No harm in being safe. 20 minutes is well worth extending the life of the motor past 10 hours.
    Omega

Hallett19:
    well, unless you remember which lifter went to which lobe. That is what I did, my builder said that would be ok. Hallett19, Be advised when using used lifters on the cam they came off of but in a different block there is a chance of failure because the lifter bores in the new block can be in a slightly different position. I recommend buy new lifters for the used cam whenever the cam goes into a different block. Lifters are cheap enough to minimize the chance of flattening a lobe[s] and have all that shit go thru the engine.

Craig
    used cam, new lifters - OK
    new cam. used lifters - eek!

Wetter the Better
    Hey 396 to properly answer your ? ,No you dont have to do a brake-in period again.

Fiat48
    OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET:
    He just said he is putting in new lifters and yes I would keep it at 2500 for 20 minutes. No harm in being safe. 20 minutes is well worth extending the life of the motor past 10 hours.
    Omega Absolutely. And a bottle of GM camshaft additive for good luck. And if it's a pretty big lift cam and it doesn't go flat, be sure to buy a lottery ticket immediately.