Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo installation project

pleasantcat
    what were you going to do with your blower setup? let me know. sean

Unchained
    I've got the headers all welded up and the turbos bolted on. Now I'm ready to build the intercooler. I found a new heater core for a bus that looks like it will work good for an intercooler core. It's 13 1/2 " x 8 1/2" x 3 3/4" thick with copper fins and brass tubes. I got it from a local radiator shop. I think he wants about $ 50 for it. I'm going to build an aluminum box around it and it will mount down to the top of the Victor 4 bbl intake.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turboinstallation8.JPG[/img]
    I need to find where to get those air cleaners that clamp right on the turbo compressor inlet. I've seen some that were a bell shaped unit with a coarse screen over the end.

HOSS
    K&N. That is looking bad ass! I`ve got to have one. I am looking for a pickle fork, any body got one for sale?

Blown509Liberator
    Mark,
    Tom still have a Job over there in Kirkland? Word has it here that Bosch is moving that division to SC. I have never met Tom but have heard good thing about him.
    MikeW
    PS. Hoss just read your message.....look here
    http://free.***boat.net/ubb/ultimate...;f=11;t=000987
    [ November 18, 2002, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Blown509Liberator ]

Infomaniac
    HOSS:
    K&N. That is looking bad ass! I`ve got to have one. I am looking for a pickle fork, any body got one for sale?Yep, but it aint cheap. Aint slow either.

Unchained
    Blown509Liberator
    [QB]Mark,
    Tom still have a Job over there in Kirkland? Word has it here that Bosch is moving that division to SC. I have never met Tom but have heard good thing about him.
    MikeW
    ]They had a thing in the paper about the Bosch plant possibly closing. Tom said even if they move production, engineering will be there until 2004.
    Tom's an interesting guy. He had a drag sled that went 175 mph. He held the national record for years.

Unchained
    I took the band clamp off the turbo and removed the center section to look in the turbine housing.
    The entire exhaust flow from four cylinders of the engine funnel down until it hits the turbine wheel from a 1/2” wide slot that is about 3 1/2” diameter x 360 degrees around the turbine wheel. It’s amazing that something so small can drive the compressor wheel and be capable of making 50 lbs of pressure. [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turbine_Housing.JPG[/img]
    The turbine wheel is 3 1/2” diameter.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Exhaust_turbine_impeller.JPG[/img]
    So it takes two 3 1/2 “ diameter turbine wheels to make more pressure than you can get with a roots blower with rotors that are 15” + long. Hmm, makes you think.

superdave013
    Tom never got back to me and I got tired of calling. Sooooo, I went to some other place. I had to sitck with the T4's because of the draw through and the carbon seals. Still will make more boost then I want so it should be ok. I got 2 of those big Pro wastegates that Invatiove Turbo makes.
    What are you doing for waste gates? And I'm assuming that you will make a spool and mount the gates between the headers and turbos.
    Looking good btw. Nice to see other ideas.

Infomaniac
    Unchained:
    I took the band clamp off the turbo and removed the center section to look in the turbine housing.
    The entire exhaust flow from four cylinders of the engine funnel down until it hits the turbine wheel from a 1/2” wide slot that is about 3 1/2” diameter x 360 degrees around the turbine wheel. It’s amazing that something so small can drive the compressor wheel and be capable of making 50 lbs of pressure. [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Turbine_Housing.JPG[/img]
    The turbine wheel is 3 1/2” diameter.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Exhaust_turbine_impeller.JPG[/img]
    So it takes two 3 1/2 “ diameter turbine wheels to make more pressure than you can get with a roots blower with rotors that are 15” + long. Hmm, makes you think.Those things are cool. The proper term for that is a "Radial Inflow Turbine" It is similar to small turbine engines used for auxillary power on airplanes. They extract nearly all the energy from the airflow. None would be left for thrust if you tried to use it for the airplane itself.
    The compressor section is a "Centrifugal
    Compressor" It causes the air to compress by throwing the air out radially through "Divergent Ducts" The air slows down in these ducts, but due to more air being continually thrown in, it causes the air to compress (pack). Not nearly as effecient as an axial compressor but much more rugged and durable.
    The roots blower does not compress the air in the blower. It just provides the engine more air than it can draw in by itself. Big air pump. This force feed causes the air pressure to increase in the manifold.
    Sorry, My aviaton technical instructor days came out suddenly.
    What an awesome project Unchained.
    SuperDave: Looks like throttle pedal wastegates.
    [ December 07, 2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

schiada96
    Info those are the same wastegates I use

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast