Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo installation project

NOCTURNAL
    That is awesome. The project has taken a while but I'm sure it will all be worth it when you are cruising on the water. When will you have some speed and performance numbers for us?
    I would also like to know what kind of mapping software you are using to control the fuel injection. Congrats on the progress.

Infomaniac
    Yea baby Yea !!

565edge
    Very nice,the motor is louder than i thought it would be,keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Unchained
    NOCTURNAL:
    That is awesome. The project has taken a while but I'm sure it will all be worth it when you are cruising on the water. When will you have some speed and performance numbers for us?
    I would also like to know what kind of mapping software you are using to control the fuel injection. Congrats on the progress. I need to do a couple more things before I take it to the water. I have to make a couple thin alum heat shields for the headers and also I need to make a pop off valve on the intercooler box.
    The guy I bought the turbo's and the EFI setup from said that most likely the two wastegates will not bypass enough exhaust gas to lower the boost fast enough to keep the boost below 25 lbs. so the popoff will lift to bypass excess also.
    He said that you can use larger turbine housings that will lower the total boost but then you increase the lag.
    So he set me up with turbine housings that will spool up real quick and then you need to work to keep the boost down to where the point you want to run at.
    What a difference compared to the blower where I could never get enough boost. Now I have to be careful I don't get too much.
    The ECU is a Haltech.
    It idles pretty smooth concidering I have 160 lb injectors and a .730 lift cam with 290 duration at .050

bigq
    Unchained that is some VERY nice work. It looks killer and sounds even better.I Like it!!!

HeavyHitter
    Unchained, you may consider putting on a second set of waste gates. Where your current set is may not be the most effective place. Up in the valute you've already turned most of the exhaust pressure into velocity hence reducing pressure to drive exhaust out the valve. Putting a popoff is a good idea for overpressure conditions but not what you want to use as normal regulation. You'll over rev the turbos and shorten their life.

Unchained
    HeavyHitter:
    Unchained, you may consider putting on a second set of waste gates. Where your current set is may not be the most effective place. Up in the valute you've already turned most of the exhaust pressure into velocity hence reducing pressure to drive exhaust out the valve. Putting a popoff is a good idea for overpressure conditions but not what you want to use as normal regulation. You'll over rev the turbos and shorten their life. HH, Thanks for the advise. I am going to try it with a popoff and see how it does. I'll monitor the boost gauge close to be sure I don't get too much. I mounted the wastegates on the turbine housings because that is supposed to get the best "pulse tuning" and the least possible lag time.
    There is a similar setup locally on a twin turbo alcohol 540 in a drag car.They dynoed 1800 HP with it on 18 lbs boost and the wastegates are working real well in the same location 1/2 way around the turbine housing. The guy who's schooling me along on this is an engineer and he has some radical ideas on how things need to be done.
    He is running an EFI system on alky with two additional jets that pee in raw alky ahead of the turbo's for additional enrichment and cooling during boost. I guess the engine made so much torque that they found every other weak link in the drivetrain. Blown trans, went to Lenco, front end off the ground, needed a wheelie bar, etc.

Unchained
    Well it looks like I've created a monster that needs to be treated with some major respect.
    I was doing some tuning on the EFI system in my little lake and put my foot in it for a few seconds. Those turbo's spooled up real quick and there was a tremendous rush of air sound coming from those short pipes and the boat launched unlike anything I've felt with the previous blower setup. eek!
    And I thought the previous setup was no slouch. It's almost like the engine sound got quieter when the turbo's spooled up and it was like someone opened the valve on a huge air compressor.
    I didn't let it wind up because I think the EFI is set way too rich and I wasn't real confident of my ability changing the program on the laptop computer.
    This seems pretty strange tuning the engine with a laptop computer. You don't even get your hands dirty.
    I am going to need to have "Turbo Tom" the Haltech dealer ride with me to man the computer
    while I drive.
    Then I'll need to mail order some larger balls.

Eric455
    ohhh man its a rush when those turbos kick in. like said befor, "their is nothing like a pair of turbos starting to wind up. nice work mark. lets get some pics, videos. come on bud.
    eric
    [ June 17, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Eric455 ]

Freak
    I am very interested in the tune up on the laptop. I have been wondering how that will go since you started the project. Keep us posted. I want to learn and yes your boat is now reached the level of stupid fast which in my book is very very cool. I can't wait for one of your ride along videos. Balls to the wall man.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast