Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Turbo installation project

bigkatboat
    Very nice 'Chained". Please put a rope on the guy who is 'working' the laptop when you hit the loud pedal, cause' they tend to fly out of the boat while doing the 'tune-up'. I've been doing the turbo thing for a long time and I have used a few CUTLER DRY MANIFOLDS, they are very 'clean' and stay even throughout the RPM range. The HALTECH is a really 'nice' deal, and if you can stay in the boat while tuning on the laptop. I wish I had seen your posts in January, I have a complete set-up and would sell it cheap. I've done a lot of 'prop' boats and they don't "hold an idle" like a jet. I have had to use an IAC motor on some motors to stabilize the idle speed. The deal I have is; manifold, 68 lbs injectors, Haltech, harnesses, 2000 CFM throttle body, and a 1000 HP fuel pump. I would 'stagger' the enrichment with 4 more injectors, in the air stream. This system will support 900HP @ 8 injectors, Staggered 2 plus 2 = a 'realistic' 1500HP for "ski race" applications. They run so clean and smooth, why don't more people run them? George

bigq
    BigKat,
    I might be interested in the setup you have. Can you send me an e-mail with the info and price.
    thanks, Wayne
    rivrboun@tstonramp.com

bigkatboat
    Wayne, It is ALL NEW, never been on anything! The haltech map is 3 atmospheres, manifold, 8 injectors, rails, pump (with brackets), 2000 CFM billet throttle body, wire harness, relays, harness for laptop, disc program, instruction sheet. I may have left something out, I don't remember. Cost $3200.00, sell $2750.00 George See it in Havasu! smile_sp

bigkatboat
    Freak, The Haltech and Electromotive ECMs come with a flat fuel curve (out of the box), and that is injector pulse width. (time open) I used a GPS and 2 EGTs on the motor. I started with the cold start and went thru the low speed and return to idle, before I would go to WOT! I would put a longer arm on the throttle body so that the driver could (try to) go up in 200RPM steps. This usually 'ran-out' @ 4000RPMs. Driveability is a major part of true EFI tuning, not just WARP SPEED. I would put the shorter arm on to get WOT and complete the tune-up. The Haltech has 'windows' at RPM levels, each window has 35 steps, along with 35 1/2 steps (70 steps)per RPM window. At 2000RPMs you can make 70 jet changes, @ 40MPH with your "nose pickin'" finger. Then it 2200RPMs do it again! That's why I made the comment (above) about the guy working the lap top. They are a KICK on the dyno, but your boats ability to load the motor may vary. George

Freak
    Thanks bigkat, I have always wondered how it's done. It makes sense. Is ignition timing adjusted from the laptop also? Anybody have a screen shot of the adjustment window?

Unchained
    BigKat, I was able to cheat a little on the programming because the Haltech dealer had the program from his boat, a twin turbo 572, and we just loaded that into my ECU. It was a little rich but close. We have the fuel bars on the map set at 500 rpm increments. When adjusting the map I have selected two or three bars at a time so I only have to tune in around 1000 rpm increments.
    I also have a fuel bar adjustment dial on the dash that lets me dial as I drive and then adjust the fuel bars afterwards to maximise the tuning. So far it is real impressive the adjustability of the system.
    One thing I can see is that with a mechanical fuel pump like I have it needs to crank a little longer to get running if it hasn't run in a few days. The pump is turning at 1/2 engine speed and doesn't make much pressure while cranking.
    I think it would be real nice to be able to run closed loop for the cruising rpm range but I heard that leaded racing gas burns up the oxygen sensor.

burbanite
    Unchained:
    One thing I can see is that with a mechanical fuel pump like I have it needs to crank a little longer to get running if it hasn't run in a few days. The pump is turning at 1/2 engine speed and doesn't make much pressure while cranking. Mark, what about trying a NRV in the system to keep pressure up to the injectors, might be enough to get it lit.
    Failing that you might want to consider a priming system, I have been thinking about adding one using my old electric pump and running it into the hat through a solenoid.

MAXIMUS
    Unchained I am more than impressed with your creation!!!! Very nice & good coverage!!! Good luck & be sure to have that family will completed!

bigkatboat
    Big G ? Do you want the EFI? I am going to move forward if you have lost interrest. I need space in my shop and this takes up time and space. Check on the current price of Haltech pieces and then let me know. You can also do a 710 HP, 680 torque 540 cu in deal with this, no problem. Bigkat

Unchained
    I'm just about tuned in on the turbo engine.
    It fires right up without touching the gas pedal or shooting any raw fuel in the scoop now.
    I'm turning the jet pump faster RPM than my previous blower engine did and I think there's more here.
    I'm leaning out the top end and picking up RPM/HP.
    I turned the AA stainless American Turbine impeller with an inducer at 6450 RPM.
    The best I could get out of the blower setup was 6000 rpm and that would only put out 14 lbs boost at 28% OD.
    The plugs read real good,
    The exhaust temp was 1650 at WOT and 1350 at cruise speed.
    The boost levels off at 20 - 21 lbs with both wastegates wide open. A little higher than I needed/wanted.
    The air temp under the intercooler was 148 degrees at 20 + lbs boost. I have the water feed line to the intercooler only open 1/2 turn on the 1/2" NPT gate valve that feeds it. I am going to try some more intercooler water.
    After I matted the throttle I went from 0 to 20 lbs boost in 1.4 sec. no lag problems at all.
    I had a data page recorded from the computer but was unable to copy it to a disc.
    Here's a couple videos of short blasts.
    I didn't have any safety gear on so I kept it under 80 mph.
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/MOV01924.MPG
    http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/MOV01926.MPG
    While we were at the river a rowdy band of bikers showed up,
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/220minibikers1-med.JPG[/img]
    And one of them had to impress us with his machines awesome power,
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/220minibikewheelie-med.JPG[/img]
    [ August 21, 2003, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Unchained ]

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast