Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB hunting!

redneckcharlie
    am i the only one that thinks this kind of crap is the main reason insurance rates on cats is so high? don't get me wrong i like speed like the next guy, i just recently sold my mach 26, but all these manufacturers trying to get bragging rights is very detrimental to the consumer and their ability to insure their boats. the people on these forums are not the only ones watching and paying attention to this kind of nonsense. if you want to put your vessel to its limits, do it in a sanctioned race, not at the lake!

Charley
    am i the only one that thinks this kind of crap is the main reason insurance rates on cats is so high? don't get me wrong i like speed like the next guy, i just recently sold my mach 26, but all these manufacturers trying to get bragging rights is very detrimental to the consumer and their ability to insure their boats. the people on these forums are not the only ones watching and paying attention to this kind of nonsense. if you want to put your vessel to its limits, do it in a sanctioned race, not at the lake!
    This is a great post....I was so tempted to take some of my posts in this thread down this path but held up in fear of getting flamed.....Just because a boat or car or whatever can do 150mph or 200 mph doesn't mean you should.... I have owned a Cat since 1989 so I consider myself with some driving skills, when I think of ANYone with an equity line of credit being able to buy the boat in this thread, it makes me wonder how much longer we will all even get to enjoy our tunnels.... ...
    Thanks Charlie for posting the obvious!

DCBDaytona
    This is a great post....I was so tempted to take some of my posts in this thread down this path but held up in fear of getting flamed.....Just because a boat or car or whatever can do 150mph or 200 mph doesn't mean you should.... I have owned a Cat since 1989 so I consider myself with some driving skills, when I think of ANYone with an equity line of credit being able to buy the boat in this thread, it makes me wonder how much longer we will all even get to enjoy our tunnels.... ...
    Thanks Charlie for posting the obvious!
    I finally agree with you on something Charley! Great Post

unleashed
    You guys are right. It is getting crazy with the Mfg's. DCB, Eliminator, Skater, I mean everyone is on a speed quest to prove who has the better hull. Just last week a 28 eliminator did 141 with ilmors. Thats crazy for that amount of power!
    Deano
    Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

andy01
    You guys are right. It is getting crazy with the Mfg's. DCB, Eliminator, Skater, I mean everyone is on a speed quest to prove who has the better hull. Just last week a 28 eliminator did 141 with ilmors. Thats crazy for that amount of power!
    Deano
    That is crazy for that kind of power. What's crazier is the Doug Wright 32' cat is hoped to go that fast with 496's. I read something about it over on OSO. 120 for sure with 496's, but with the right set up 140. That is a lot of speed. I think a lot of people (even myself) hear 2-300K for a price and 120-150 mph so many times a day you get used to it and think nothing of it. I mean hell when you ordered your 32' with 800's that was a lot of boat with a lot of power that ran 130 plus. Now that is the norm. Not saying you don't still have a bad ass ride, but it's not 1 of 40 now. and Charley had just ordered his 29 that ended up running mid 120's. And that was real fast. Now look half of the guys buying 29's are running that fast with "stock" power the 625's. It is fun but unless it is a huge boat I don't see the fun in thinking "I hope this works out okay" as the speedo passes the 140 mark.
    Andy

Jordy
    I have owned a Cat since 1989
    Really??? Seems to me that you've been in between boats more than you've been with boat as far back as I can remember, unless you count the pontoon, Mr. Big.

Tom Slick
    I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but like some of your post have stated, the manufactures are doing more to ruin any chance of getting insurance on a pleasure boat then they are helping. I'm just wondering what is going to happen to manufactures like DCB, Eliminator, Force, Skater, Spectre, etc., etc. when nobody will insure these things. Finance companies require insurance, so are these manufactures expecting only the ballers in the world that can afford one of their over priced boats to pay cash and then run around at 140mph without insurance. Not gonna happen and there's going to be a bunch of boat builders without any customers.
    Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it I would be doing a 150mph across my favorite waterway all day long, but the price of these things are a bit out of hand and the insurance is not only almost impossible to get, but it is so out of hand price wise I may end of riding the shoreline the rest of my life. What is being done to make this issue a little better? Are the manufactures doing anything in regards to working with indsurance companies to begin making things more realistic for the consumer, or has a sport that just a couple of years ago that was affordable going to disappear because nobody can get insured or afford too?
    Sorry for the long rant.

BADBLOWN572
    He said the are going with the billet bravos done by max machine???? I've never heard of them have you??? It does have twin 1150's in it!
    Deano
    I have seen the new Billet Bravo by Max Machine and they look great. My only problem is that it is still based on the Bravo design. Hopefully they will be able to hold the power that they claim, but I am a little pessimistic (?sp). Everyone first said that the B-max would handle 1k h.p. all day long. TRUST ME it doesn't. Any drive that shifts is going to have a ton of weak spots in it. Gears are mashing together, extra torque on the drives, etc... In my opinion, the only way to make a real high h.p. drive is with an external tranny and proper heat treating of LARGE shafts. Max Machine guys know their stuff, but they are trying to work on a product design that has large limitations.
    I would be very nervous to get in that boat with even the Max drives. Fly it one time and not get off the sticks... Could get ugly.
    Just my .02 :boxed:

Dave C
    AGREED!
    not only are the manufacturers not working to improve the insurance situation they are working against us with their marketing campaigns.
    I guess if someone is a baller they can write the big insurance checks. But for the rest of us, we will be priced out of the market.
    For this very reason we gave up trying to improve our boat for more speed (i.e. blowers, NOS etc.) because we can't get insurance. Too bad I love these boats. :cry:
    Instead we went back to drag racing for our adreneline rush.
    I don't want to rain on anyones parade, but like some of your post have stated, the manufactures are doing more to ruin any chance of getting insurance on a pleasure boat then they are helping. I'm just wondering what is going to happen to manufactures like DCB, Eliminator, Force, Skater, Spectre, etc., etc. when nobody will insure these things. Finance companies require insurance, so are these manufactures expecting only the ballers in the world that can afford one of their over priced boats to pay cash and then run around at 140mph without insurance. Not gonna happen and there's going to be a bunch of boat builders without any customers.
    Don't get me wrong, if I could afford it I would be doing a 150mph across my favorite waterway all day long, but the price of these things are a bit out of hand and the insurance is not only almost impossible to get, but it is so out of hand price wise I may end of riding the shoreline the rest of my life. What is being done to make this issue a little better? Are the manufactures doing anything in regards to working with indsurance companies to begin making things more realistic for the consumer, or has a sport that just a couple of years ago that was affordable going to disappear because nobody can get insured or afford too?
    Sorry for the long rant.

BoatFloating
    Really??? Seems to me that you've been in between boats more than you've been with boat as far back as I can remember, unless you count the pontoon, Mr. Big.
    Now that's funny... :rollside:

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast