Thread: 460 Ford Help!

brianwhiteboy
    I recently got a 72 Cheetah with a Berkeley JC and a 460. I was told the motor came out of the junkyard and only ran once or twice. The boat sat for the last seven years, but I managed to get the thing fired and running on Sunday.
    It has DV3E (any info. on these would be great) heads and through transom exhaust. I'd like to freshen the motor up but not drop a mint either, maybe $1200.
    If anyone has recommendations on a good setup as far as carb/initake manifolds/cams please let me know. This is my first Ford motor so I could use all the info. that you can pass along!
    Thanks!!
    by the way, JETBOAT
    Brian

The D3 heads are the standard issue for 460 engines in boats. 91cc quench chambers, 2.09" intake- 1.65" exhaust. With those heads on a 73 & up block [10.320 deck] is 8 to 1 C/R. Switch to an earlier head [stay far away from the D2 heads-junk open chamber] like the C8-C9 or D0VE heads, they are 75 cc chambers with the same size valves. That would boost your C/R to about 9.5 to 1, clean out the restrictive exhaust port and do a 3 angle valve job. Get a cam from any one of the well known cam companys, let them recommend a grind for you. Install a good aluminum intake like a Stealth or a Victor if you want to run a single plane manifold. Don't run any carb smaller than a 750 cfm, preferrably a 850 cfm as BBFs like airflow. The big Ford also responds good to headers but I get the impresson you want to keep the transom exhaust. You will need to see to it the carb gets enough fuel so a good fuel pump and big lines are mandatory.

moneysucker
    Fry Jet had his set up well, You should post on the thread where he is starting trouble. (the money$ucker, petrofied, quack attack thread) He is good about answering questions. He set his up and ran a ton of NOS through it and held it together he would be one to talk to. He only runs Fords.

HotHallet
    I'll sell you my old 460 for $900. It has an Isky 280 Mega cam and an Edelbrock Torker manifold and Holley vaccum secondary carb. Ran great in my boat for the past two seasons. Ran fine when I pulled it out of the boat. Just selling to make room for my new mill. You will need some accessories off your current motor (flexplate, oil pan and pick up, oil filter adapter, front pulley, valve covers, bell housing cover) I can be reached at 310-344-2555.