Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet drive performance

tahiti77
    i just thought someone could point me in the right direction. i have a berkeley JC pump in my 77 tahiti i am in the middle of installing a new blown 496 that should make about 800+ h.p. i have been wondering what i should do with the jet. i want to make the boat as fast as possible. i know the motor will make the power but im not sure what to do with the jet. i was thinking of canning the berkeley????

If you decide to "cann it" let me know, I'd buy it for a spare. There is nothing wrong with a berkeley pump, Everyone makes performance enhancing parts for them. At the very least, give a rebuild, as it's probly been in service for many moons. Decide how you want to run your motor, then you can chose the appropriate pump mods. best of luck Sleek

tahiti77
    if i decide to go with another type of pump i will keep u in mind my berkeley is in very good shape and i would sell it for a very decent price

Cas
    i just thought someone could point me in the right direction. i have a berkeley JC pump in my 77 tahiti i am in the middle of installing a new blown 496 that should make about 800+ h.p. i have been wondering what i should do with the jet. i want to make the boat as fast as possible. i know the motor will make the power but im not sure what to do with the jet. i was thinking of canning the berkeley????
    with a few mods you can make that pump work pretty good. I think I might be a little more concerned about 800+ hp in a tahiti with 1/4 stringers.

Blown Away
    Berkeley is a great pump and can be made to handle lots of power. A larger impellor will help you take advantage of all that power.Give me a call I specialize in jets and I will beat anyones prices on parts!
    SKAGEN BOATS 253-939-8733

TIMINATOR
    We do performance pumps, call for info, don't want to start anything here. TIMINATOR

lilrick
    Tahiti, it would be wise to research your specific hull and determine its "hull potential" or "speed". Not all boats can handle that much horsepower. Most jetboats were only designed as family ski boats. If your boat does not have full length stringers , I would also be weary!!!

tahiti77
    im not too worried about the stringers i had new ones installed that run the full length but i am concerned about hoow the boat will handle at high speeds it did about 75 last year and it handled great

SmokinLowriderSS
    How it will handle depends a great deal on the hull, and just what happens. The biggest risk I am aware of (not saying this affects you specifically but generally) the v-hulls as lake boats. If you are running high & dry (fast) and loose the motor or just drop the throttle way too fast the hull just drops back (slams basically) into the water. Problem is, it drops to the heavy side which usually is the driver's side (driver & battery side in Lowrider),the effect is increased by the backwash from the intake lifting the stern. This CAN (often tends to) hook a chine & spin toward the heavy side, at high speed. Just one of the risks of going fast.

tahiti77
    there are tons of risks in life that are definatley worth trying i beleive this to be one of them but i am also looking for a pickel fork or a good flat bottom for my next project. i live in utah but im willing to drive to pick one up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast