Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re-certifying rudders

SANGER-RICH
    I was reading that rudders need to be certified for racing?? Is this true??? How is this done by magnifluxing?? I want to send mine out to get rechromed, should this be done first???

superdave013
    If you chrome it your done. No chrome rudders at the races.
    The chrome process causes some type of somethin somethin that they say makes them weaker.

wsuwrhr
    Chrome on steel causes hydrogen embrittlement. Good for bumpers, bad for structural parts.
    Brian

SANGER-RICH
    So what you are saying if the rudder has been chromed it is junk if I want to race my shovelnose??

Yes! No chrome under water gear @ all!

Jr. bentpipes
    The main reason I was told is because it hides cracks,if it cracks and the actual plating doesnt have any extruions or flaws( if you will) you would think it is just a plating flaw,people generally get things chromed and never think of getting it checked,magna flux,(or any oyher way of x-raying metal)it would definately get overlooked. besides speed coat anything that goes in the water, less drag!!!

V-Drive Tom
    Rich, Your rudder can be used. Have the chrome stripped. Have it checked for cracks. Keep the paper work showing that it was done. If your rudder checks out OK, then you can run it.:wink:
    Thats the same thing you would want to do even if you were not going racing.
    Then you have to speed coat it , or just keep it clean!! TOM..

Fired Up
    Where can you buy speed coat? Does it come as a spray-on in the can, brush on..?

schiada96
    Tom what about speed coating props so they won't rust. Is speed coat the same a dry lube?

Cole Man II
    I just ordered a can of speed coat for touch up from Eddie Marine. Part # EM-100 @ $16.50 a can.
    If you are looking to spray the entire bottom a Quart should do the job. Part # EM-101 @ $34.50 a can.
    Hope this helps.
    Cole Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast