Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tunnel Ram,Single, or Dual Plane???

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Ok I am just looking for opinions on this! What do you run and why? What are the disadvantages /advantages?
    Why run a tunnel ram?Why is it better than a single/dual plane intake?

HammerDown
    With the semi low rpm my little 468 engines turning (just over 5000) A tunnel Ram and or a single plane would be like pissing in the wind or a total waste. So I'll stick with my Stealth. I also spend a great deal of time at or just around 3000 rpm.
    Now if I was in the 6000 + range...thats a different story.
    All the "racers" I know spin their engines very close to or higher than 8000 rpm...thus the need for the Big trick Tunnel Ram. Another friend spins his 468 12:1 engine at 6800...thus the Team G.
    I'm good where I'm at.

Wet Dream
    Originally posted by 396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Why run a tunnel ram?Why is it better than a single/dual plane intake?
    Hammer has a good explanation but it goes much deeper than that...
    Its all about the Bling Factor.

HammerDown
    Originally posted by Wet Dream
    Hammer has a good explanation but it goes much deeper than that...
    Its all about the Bling Factor.
    Hmmmm...:idea: With what the price of Gas $$$$ will be this up and coming Summer. Dam right I aint worried about "the Bling Factor" of a Tunnel Ram.

77charger
    If motor kept under 5500 a single plane is the way to go much simpler to tune and very low maint
    Look factor the t ram is the thing to have or if you plan on a high rev motor

HammerDown
    Originally posted by 77charger
    If motor kept under 5500 a single plane is the way to go much simpler to tune and very low maint
    Look factor the t ram is the thing to have or if you plan on a high rev motor
    Gotta ask...why would you want a "single plane" manifold on a 5500 and under rpm engine
    I would think 6k or above. I belive my stealth (dual plane) is raited at over 7000 rpm. (not that I'll ever see it)

SJ Valley Dave
    I agree. If a BBC is being turned 5,000 or so a 180 degree dual plane is the answer. A good open plenum single plane w/ the right carburation will spin 8500 rpm. We run a tunnel ram and spin the BBC 7300, could get by w/ a single 4bbl but already have the tricked out carbs.

Aluminum Squirt
    I've always wondered if a tunnel ram with a single carb set up would be worth while. Would the tunnel ram effect be worth some hp/torque or would this again be a high RPM set up-Aluminum Squirt

77charger
    Originally posted by HammerDown
    Gotta ask...why would you want a "single plane" manifold on a 5500 and under rpm engine
    I would think 6k or above. I belive my stealth (dual plane) is raited at over 7000 rpm. (not that I'll ever see it) How often is a boat cruising under 2k?Not that a dual plane is a bad choice but if you want to gain every hp you could i think a single plane would do better when the rpm comes up.Thats all
    The stealth and performer rpms are good choices as far as dual planes go

cal perf 19
    Had the single TR on my boat could not get the plugs to color right either too rich or too lean. Put the stealth on and gained a shit load of bottom/midrange right off the back without losing any top end!
    Robert stopped by your pits on Sun. your weren't there but talked with your crew. They were cool! Sorry you broke hope everything go's better next time. See you at the next race. BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast