Thread: Removing paint by media blasting

infotraker
    Preparing my 77 Sanger Pickle for a new paint job, took it to Canyon Boats in Lodi yesterday. The expensive part is removing the target paint either by sanding (~2K) or by media blasting (~$500). The media blasting guy is almost 100 % sure he can remove the paint, sometimes they stop the job when the blasting eats into the fiberglass. Anyone have this done ? If the blasting does not work then I have to do the sanding myself as I need to keep the paint and preparing cost at around 4K as I still have the engine to fix.

63stevens
    I found some paint and varnish remover that is made for fibergalss. It takes the paint off without harming the fiberglass. It was about $25/ gallon and worked good. Alot easier than sanding. I got it thru my local paint store. You might try that first.

INEEDAV
    63Stevens
    What is the name of the product?

63stevens
    Here is the infor you wanted.
    Klean-strip
    Fiberglass paint remover
    product # GAF354

INEEDAV
    Thanks.

BILLY.B
    Originally posted by infotraker
    Preparing my 77 Sanger Pickle for a new paint job, took it to Canyon Boats in Lodi yesterday. The expensive part is removing the target paint either by sanding (~2K) or by media blasting (~$500). The media blasting guy is almost 100 % sure he can remove the paint, sometimes they stop the job when the blasting eats into the fiberglass. Anyone have this done ? If the blasting does not work then I have to do the sanding myself as I need to keep the paint and preparing cost at around 4K as I still have the engine to fix. I've had the media blasting done and it wasn't good. The guy that did it is very experienced and it still came out like crap. More work in getting the hull back into shape then if we had stripped it ourselves.

SANGER-RICH
    Originally posted by BILLY.B
    I've had the media blasting done and it wasn't good. The guy that did it is very experienced and it still came out like crap. More work in getting the hull back into shape then if we had stripped it ourselves. I agree Billy B I have been stripping my shovelnose and did the sanding and paint remover, the remover was alittle messy but alot less effort and cheaper than sanding.