Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 28' Sunsation

Brip
    If you spend time in Broad Bay and at the narrows, you have seen me. I am almost always at the narrows. I test drove the Sunsation in MD. The dealer is Extreme Offshore. The guy I spoke w/ was Mike. # 410-939-7564.
    I too drove a 29 Scarab before I bought the PQ. Lynnhaven Marine had a used one w/ only 35 hours on it. Just like new. The sale was contingent on a sea trial...good thing too. It was slow...It had a hard time getting to 60. Top speed (GPS) was about 62.
    Don't worry about weight with the PQ. Around here (the Ches. Bay) weight is a good thing. Makes the boat take the waves better.
    ou know I think I've seen you and your boat. I spend a lot of time in Broad Bay and at the Narrows. As far as operating costs... As I mentioned, my buddy has a Baja w/ same power. The Baja is about the same wieght and width as the Sunsation. We both burn the same amount of fuel..almost to the gallon!!! Talk about wieght, his boat in the bay, pounds where mine is smooth AND dry. I got (COLD!)water in my face when I drove the Sunsation. If you aare going to order a boat from someone...be aware that they need some lead time. When I ordered my boat last Jan 15, PQ had someone cancel an order, and I was lucky to get my boat when I did. They started the boat on 2/1/00 and it takes PQ about 6 weeks. I took delivery mid March. If you want a new boat by May, you should shop / buy now. Plus Hope Springs was ready to DEAL in mid Jan as it was cold and they needed business.
    If you start to deal with them, I'll send you some actual cost figures on a 2000 PQ. (you didn't get them from me!!)
    Let me know if I can help you.
    Bill

StingRay
    Thanx again Brip
    This is exactly the kind of input I've been fishing for. Though I must say, I'm not quite sure it's making it any easier in light of sun28int's positive comments above about the Sunsation and his friends satisfaction as well. I understand the lead time for building but unfortunately I have two boats (what am I complaining about right?) that I must sell/trade in order to make another major purchase, momma says so. In the meantime I'm gathering as much info as I can so that when I sell I can close a deal quickly in order to take a quick delivery. Extreme Marine in MD essentially quoted me 71K for the package I want with plain white hull and I go pick it up. I will take any bit of info you could provide on PQ costs and options. I've contacted PQ for some literature and they have notified me it's on the way. If there was anything you didn't like about PQ what would it be? All boats have some little quirk.
    Yes I'm sure you've seen me at the Narrows and talking with a buddy I'm sure of it. My friend has a 22' Scarab with yellow checkerboard and "Tweety" theme and he says he's spoken with you. I've got the white 230SX with blue checkerboard. The Stingray has been a fabulous boat and I wish they had'em in a 26-28 because I'd get another but unfortunately 23' is as big as they get sportboat wise. Anyway...
    If you've got handy info on the PQ if you wouldn't mind, you can send it to my email found in my profile via attachment. Like I said, I'm chomping to sell and roaring to buy!...
    [This message has been edited by StingRay (edited January 04, 2001).]

Brip
    I know the guy in the Scarab...You are right we've spoken before. I usually am there hanging out with my buddy who has the 272 Baja.
    What would I change??? I would have added rails on the front deck as it can get slippery when waxed. I would have chosen a diffent color for one of my stripes. Less fuel consumption would be nice. That is really about it. This sounds kind of weird, but there is nothing I would change. Design wise, size, built quality....I am 200% happy with the boat. I know this sounds crazy, but I believe I have the perfect boat (for me anyhow)After owning some many boats in the last 4-5 years (as well as doing some really lenghty test drives) I have found what I want. The boat is really roomy in the cockpit (where we all spend 98% of our time on the boat) the cabin is roomy too. I don't know how PQ got so much room.
    I think I have seen your boat at the narrows!? I saw that you were selling it and told someone I know that is in the market for a boat. Too bad, he doesn't want to spend over 10K. Your boat (In my opinion) would be great for him but........
    Sunsation has gotten mixed reviews from another board www.offshoreonly. (http://www.offshoreonly.) com
    Most are good on speed and handling, some are bad on ride and quality of materials.
    You said you wanted a white boat. Is this because you dislike the graphics on the Sunsation? If that is the case, PQ (when I bought mine) had 5 different graphics and about 15 colors. You can also choose: graphic on sun lounge, cockpit carpet color, cabin carpet color, valance color, V-berth fabric, colors on inside of bolsters, colors on outside of bolsters, logo color on bolster. They also did some custom things for me as well. So I got a boat exactly the way I wanted.
    Another boat I looked at was a Velocity. Those are FAST!!! But was totally turned off when the 115 lb sales girl climed aboard to show me the boat, the swim platform flexed bad. Front deck access was terrible, and I too flexed under my weight. It was ok, but I felt it was too light weight for me. As I said before, to go in the Ches. weight is good. I have NEVER had water in the face, not even any spray on the windshield.
    As a comparison, I bought my boat loaded, best graphics, competiton pak, transom shower, bimini top, Gaffrig red lines, 2nd battery, pull up cleats, etc., etc. Dave @ Hope springs sold me the boat (Delivered to Marina Shores) for $ 67,409.00. This # includes tax, freight, prep etc. In other words $ 64910.00 plus tax, title, freight, prep, etc....
    In Jan. boat dealers are chomping at the bit to sell SOMETHING!
    Bill

lifisgoood
    I have a 97 25 sunsation aggressor and am very happy with this boat. Have nothing bad to say about sunsation or the way they handle problems. I only live 40 miles from the factory which makes things a little easier too. I only had a few minor detail things wrong w/ the boat when I picked it up , but I dropped the boat off at the factory and the guys bent over backwards to take care of me. That was one of the things that sold me on sunsation was the involvement of the company owners with the people that buy their boats. I've been to a couple of the sunsation weekends which are always fun, and have talked to about eighty owners with all 3 sizes of sunsations and nobody ever has any major complaints. I hang with a few Bajas and a 27 formula. The only problem I know of w/ the 272 is a lot of the olders ones (as new as 96) crack in the bulkhead at the entrance to the cuddy. But all the Baja owners love their boats. We get a lot cross chop up here in lake saint clare (2 to 5 footers) but all the Intimidator owners I've talked never complain about the ride.

wayne ellis
    I only have one thing to say and that is 280 Velocity W/ 502 is by far the best boat in it's class give one a try before you buy ??

thebone12
    I have read everyones thoughts and think you guys are on the right track. I am a uscg captain and a captain for TowBoat/us. I also live in Montauk, NY. I have run more of these boats than I can count. The one boat you are forgetting is the 30 superboat. This boat with equal power will kill anything on the water in up to 8ft sea. It is my favorite.

StingRay
    You guys are right, the 280 Velocity and 30 SuperBoats are sweet units. The SuperBoat though is a little too high performance for my budget and personal use. There's so many nice boats out there for every occassion it's hard to choose. It seems as soon as I settle on particular fit another starts to sound good. VIP's Vindicator is another good looking and performing boat that looks similar to the Velocity. I have a good deal of interest in the PowerQuest and lately Donzi's 26 and 28 footers are peaking my interest too. A friend of mine has a 22ZX Donzi and the warranty service/response he's gotten has been fantastic besides being a sharp well made boat. Though I still like the looks and specs of the Sunsation and it all is going to boil down to package deal but only after I sell my current boat. If I don't sell my current boat quickly I'll keep it another year...

Advantage
    Stingray,
    I don't want to confuse you anymore, however, have you considered a 27' Advantage Victory? This boat weighs only 4,250 lbs and is a full 27'3" in length. This boat was built for the offshore.
    I would strongly recommend you consider an Advantage before buying any of the aforementioned manufacturers.

StingRay
    Like I mentioned earlier, there's so many great manufacturers to choose from one would need a year to drive around (or in some cases fly) to the nearest dealer and test drive etc then order. I'm having to now focus on the relatively nearby dealers, which in my mind count towards potential warranty service, as well as the boat meeting my usage needs and personal taste. Again, it all boils down how well they're willing to deal and I still have to sell my current boat quickly or wait another year...
    You know i haven't heard anything from Donzi owners?....

mydonzi
    Ok, Donzi owner here... I have been reading a bit too long maybe, Stingray, I recommend Donzi to all my friends, I have a 28' 2000ZX that EASILY hits 78-80MPH stock, and that is in the chop and nice swells, you mentioned rougher water, Scaraabs don't hang with me in wide open water!!!! well... now, that spells Donzi! These boats are designed for the bay/ocean, when the other "smooth water boats" try to get playing, my Donzi pulls right up and says "see ya"! You must watch the Z step hull though, one word of warning if you never owned a step hull, they will spin if you do not know how to turn her at high speeds, never de-trim while turning! Trust me I know, and this goes for most mid size range step hulls.
    As far as the company goes, I have the Zcare 5 year bow to stern warranty, it is all covered, when I have a problem I call the 1-800 number and BAM, the new part is here in two to three days, no questions ask. Just food for thought, the rough water is hard on a boat as I am sure you know (let alone a wife/girl friend http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif))).
    There are other other boats in the same price range with maybe a few more bells and whistles BUT when it comes to service, Donzi really stands behind their boats.
    There aren't many in VA either, I think on on the eastern shore there is one (ZX) and a couple older 16/18 classics in the tidewater area. So they are not like Camaro's and butt holes, every one doesn't have one!
    I checked out the Sunsation site, very pretty boat, very nice, and I can honestly say I have never been in one, they do sound impressive. What kind of prices are they talking for mid size range boats with the bad to the bone high out put big blocks? Single or twin? What kind of warranty? Resale value?
    What two boats do you have for sale? One obviously is a Stingray I bet!
    Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast