Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Is Nostalgia Circle Racing?

Dave Sammons
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../1517f59-3.bmp
    I know this boat doesn't have a v-drive in it, but, hear me out. There are a number of us in this forum that have been able to compete recently in the newly formed Nostalgia Flat and GN classes here in SoCal. I've driven in a few of them and they have been a great, safe, fun and economical way to go to the circle races. I know anyone else who has done the same will agree. Along with all the aforementioned reasons, the class is pretty cool because of the different types of hulls and engines that come out to compete. If you have ever attended any of the Goodguys Drag Races, you'll know that Nostalgia racing is on the rise. We have a chance within the APBA to do the same. My understanding is as far as the upcoming races at Parker, there are 8 boats registered for NOS Flat and 4 for NOS GN. I know that number will continue to grow!
    Which brings us to the boat pictured above. This is a 5litre hydroplane out of the early 70's that has been restored by the Bewick brothers out of Riverside. I had the honor of driving this boat in it's first race in over 25 years in the NOS Flat class at the Thanksgiving Race

Dave Sammons
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...7f59-g-med.jpg
    I have been told that the boat does not fit into the exsisting GN rules and therefore is no longer legal to race in the Flat or GN class. If you were there I'd like to know your opinion of how it fit in. We were all out there to have fun and if you know your circle boat history you'll know that hydros were a huge part of the scene all the way up to the late 70's. I would love to see a Nostalgia hydro class start real soon. It is my understanding that there are few in the process of restoration right now! But, if the only current, running NOS hydro in SoCal has nowhere to run currently down here, what's the incentive? All I'm asking is, would it be too much to let the thing get out there and run in the outside lane, There are a number of people who have never seen a conventional hydro run in a circle race. The guys I ran with thought it was cool just to run down the chute with the thing. I think the owner would even settle for a few hotlaps after the National Anthem each day! Let's not squelch our inboard racing heritage! Any of you guys that have got some pull with the SCSC, we could sure use it

Dave Sammons
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../1517f59-5.bmp
    She throws a little water in the corners!

Dave Sammons
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/.../1517f59-4.bmp
    The Bewick brothers are in the cowboy hats. They have had the boat under restoration for 7 years. If you have seen it, you know how beautiful it is and it runs almost a 100mph with a 305 smallblock. Oh, and if you've never circleraced at 100 with no down pedal, I can't tell you what a thrill that is!

coolchange
    Used to watch those at Long Beach I think it was. Seems to me the least they could is run an exhibition class or something. Its not like the course is never empty. Then a guy says " hey didnt your Dad have one of those 2 litre hydros? He still has it? lets get it out!"

boatguy222
    Dave,
    Come to Washington, and you can run with a couple of other nostalgia Hydros. the course is a little smaller but we have alot of fun, I think one of the boats is a 225, and not sure what the other is. Circlejerk will be on here sometime tonight I'am sure and he can tell you what the boats are.
    I am sure you would more than welcome

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Dave,
    You know I support ya!!
    How about getting the Doidges out along with those two 5 litre guys that used to run C.O.B.R.A. ?? I bet Jim Wilkes knows where to locate them??
    That would make 4 boats and a legal class....
    Jerry

Dave Sammons
    The owner has talked with me about going up there to drive a couple back to back races that run, I think, in June. I've seen some pictures of the boats that have been restored up there, I'd be great to come up and run with them! Maybe we could set something up where they come down and run at the Stadium in August.

Dave Sammons
    Originally posted by V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Dave,
    You know I support ya!!
    How about getting the Doidges out along with those two 5 litre guys that used to run C.O.B.R.A. ?? I bet Jim Wilkes knows where to locate them??
    That would make 4 boats and a legal class....
    Jerry
    The Doidge's boat from what I've heard is a full length tunnel boat. According to the SCSC they are legal for the NOS GN class because Inboard tunnels ran some endurance races(The fact is, so did hydroplanes back in the late 60's, early 70's. According to Harlan Orrin, one actually won the inboard race at the 9 Hour before being protested by Nordskgog). Your idea was the reason I wanted to throw this out there. The video you shot of the boat at the Thanksgiving race was awesome! I can't believe the "powers that be" are making this so difficult! I'm out of town on business this week. I don't know if I'll get a chance to call him b-4 the weekend, but, it's worth a shot! What do you think of a few hotlaps after the Anthem. I think it would be a great way to salute the past drivers of all the Inboard classes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast