Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strange objects in the California desert...

rivercrazy
    Maybe someone should check with Cartman from SouthPark!

miller19j
    That is a position reference beacon for an earth mapping Lidar system. They use a Laser based Lidar bore sighted with a standard Radar system to survey the changes in the earths surface. By using the two sensors covering different wavelengths they can very accurately measure the earth’s surface. I believe that their accuracy is somewhere on the order of ± .0002 inches but it is very difficult to quantify. The survey is being done under a grant from the NSA.
    Oh by the way I have no idea what I am talking about but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Trash
    How far away (north specifically) were you from Ocotillo?
    That marker IS a radar reflector. But I'm not sure its associated with the ranges out there. There are two bombing/straffing ranges near that area within R-2510 (restricted area). Navy El Centro is only a 20-30 miles east. Those type of reflectors can be used for radar offsets.
    Did you see any dark roads cutout in the desert, earth burms, or large concentric rings in the desert floor? If so you wandered off into the weapons range. I would avoid that area like the plague.
    Are you sure you didn't cross any signs that said "Danger Keep Out, Govt. Property"?

hboldno7
    Originally posted by miller19j
    That is a position reference beacon for an earth mapping Lidar system. They use a Laser based Lidar bore sighted with a standard Radar system to survey the changes in the earths surface. By using the two sensors covering different wavelengths they can very accurately measure the earth’s surface. I believe that their accuracy is somewhere on the order of ± .0002 inches but it is very difficult to quantify. The survey is being done under a grant from the NSA.
    Oh by the way I have no idea what I am talking about but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    LMAO

Krazy K
    On to something else...
    On 1 trip out to Parker, traveling on Rice Rd., I stopped to take a break and let dog out for a pee. Only about 20-30 feet from the road, I found numerous soda glass bottles; I'm guessing from the late 60's-early 70's. I can only imagine all the sh*t you can probably find along that road!!

hd&boatrider
    Originally posted by miller19j
    That was pretty funny Miller

manuel
    Sailboats use smaller versions of that design because they don't show up very well on radar and that makes them look bigger on screen, and I have seen them on marker buoy's also, maybe LF will give us a grant and we go buy a bunch of them and spell out ***boat across the desert ?
    http://www.landfallnav.com/sd152.html

Dr. Eagle
    Definitely a Radar Reflector....
    Why, I don't know......

manuel
    Maybe it's there to mark expected location of the NEW coastline after the rest falls in ? Did you see any fault lines nearby ?

mickeyfinn
    Obviously they are refocusing energy through the use of the pyramid design. Just look here (http://www.greatpyramidco.com/)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast