Thread: Removing Pump From Hull ??? Help Please

Elk Chaser
    Need to take my Berkeley 12 JF-A pump completely off the hull to patch up the old thru transom holes for the control cables (moving them above the water line and the old holes are in bad shape too)
    I have all the bolts off (two broke off in the pump housing). It is obviously stuck in place due to the stuff they used to seal it to the hull, maybe with epoxy or something similar, not sure.
    Anyone taken the pump off the hull have any tips on how to break it loose without damaging the pump?
    Also what should I use to seal it back into place once I'm finished painting the boat?
    Any input would be great
    Thanks
    John

MudPumper
    Are you taking the entire pump out of the boat. This would include the intake. Or are you trying to seperate the pump from the intake???
    First remove the Transom Adapter. Then remove all bolts that bolt pump into intake(the part that is tuck in the bottom of the boat). Push down on the nozel or bowl and the seal between the intake and pump should break.
    You shouldn't need to remove the intire pump to patch a few holes in the transom!!??

1HOTGMCJET
    I may be wrong, but if it's a JF like he states, I believe it's an "insert type" pump (like my JE) and will need to be removed in it's entirety.......Good Luck!

MudPumper
    Oh, not really familiar with that setup. I'll shut up now!

Elk Chaser
    Yup, it's a JF and it's an insert style. The pump is "set up" into the boat (resessed) about 6 inches leaving only a 2 inch space to get in and patch the holes.
    So I think it needs to come off completely to do it right . If I can't get it off I will think of something else but I thought since I have the boat tore down to a shell allready I may as well reseal the pump to the hull (thought this needs to be done every once in a while anyways, boat is 26 years old)
    Here is a pic of the "set up" and you can see the holes I'm going to patch on the right side.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...set_up-med.JPG
    Pic of the JF Pump (at least that is the model number on the name plate on top of the intake)
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/935Jet.JPG

HammerDown
    JF-JE just means one has a jetovator and yes both are insert styles molded in the hull during manufacturing
    . I would leave that pump alone...and fix the hole's with the pump in...it can be done, easily.

matt1
    I was told (bya pump guru) never to remove a JE-JF pump unless absolutly nessasary it will take some pretty intricite grinding.

HotRod Sprint
    Hey John, long time no see on the boards. I don't think you will be able to take the suction housing portion out with anything less than a chain saw. However the pump itself that is bolted to the transom should not present any real problems. Why not just call Duane at HTP, and ask him what to do, I'm sure he'll be glad to help.
    Rod

Elk Chaser
    Welp, I will have to figure out how to grind out that last hole another way, can't get the grinder in there.
    Crap and now I have to drill and easy out two bolts, that's gunna be fun
    That'll teach me to ask about stuff like this first before that hair climbs up my ars.
    Thanks everybody!

1HOTGMCJET
    Originally posted by HotRod Sprint
    I don't think you will be able to take the suction housing portion out with anything less than a chain saw. However the pump itself that is bolted to the transom should not present any real problems. Why not just call Duane at HTP, and ask him what to do, I'm sure he'll be glad to help.
    Rod [/B]
    Unfortunately, it's all or nothing with these pumps, it's all one piece - I've attached a pic of my JE, it's easy to see it there....
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...mp_Parts_1.jpg
    Good Luck!