Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1975 Rogers 191/2 ' Bubble deck need 2 cnts

jtham
    I just looked at a 1975 Rogers 19.5 foot bubble deck with a Berkely 12jB-A. It has a manual place diverter. It was painted, upholstery no holes, full length stringers, tandem axle trailer. Paintjob not real good, overspray on trailer.
    Price $3900. firm.
    Setback, 455 olds. Stock edelbrock carb Offenhauser intake, Thru-transom exhaust.
    Boat ran good, idled well. Full gauges (fuel don't work) Two 15 gallon side tanks. I checked the oil, no water in oil at this time.
    QUESTION: I had two of these boats with the 455. Love the hull, but had problems with these engines. Low RPm, water in oil, etc. I told myself I would never buy a jet boat again with a 455 olds.
    I know a lot of guys have these motors. WOULD IT BE WORTH THE 3900. TO BUY THIS BOAT EVEN IF THE MOTOR GOES BAD SHORTLY AND I CAN UPGRADE TO A 454 OR 460, OR SHOULD I TRY AND FIND ONE WITH THE MOTOR I WANT? THESE HULLS ARE HARD TO COME BY NOW!!!!!!!!! ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED..JAY

MudPumper
    It all depends on how much money you want to put into the boat. If it was me, I would buy it and drop a BBC in it. I love those hulls.

jtham
    I was thinking the same thing Mike. I like the hull, but that damn 455. Who knows how long it will hold up? Everything looks good now though. Do you think it's worth the $3900. as is?
    Jay

that hull at 3900,....if the hull was in good shape i would definitly consider it!
    most every rogers that ive come across that was even a light lay-up, was in a repairable state,...these hulls are designed very well and can handle water much better than hulls in its same class.
    where are you loc?
    i purchased my 18 rogers, for 2100$, i had to go through the entire hull and do some serious cleaning as well as repairs, but even though it was involved in an accident and sat at the bottom of lake elsinore for more than a week,...i found it was a smokin buy! (all wood besides the stringers was replaced!)
    i think that you will find that cyclone has alot to add to this thread, and he'll prob reply tomorrow sometime!(he was in the same predicament that you are in about a year or so ago!)
    if i can be of any help to you concerning the purchase of a rogers, please feel free to call!
    Todd
    TRG custom fiberglass
    626-991-9031

jtham
    Thanks Todd. I will probably call you tomorrow. It's a little late now. I knew you and Cyclone would probably have something to say. I had a 1970 Wieman 18' that I really loved, but I dumped it because of the Olds. Needed rebuild. People were telling me it would be cheaper to just buy one the way I wanted it set up. I can't find these hulls with a Chevy 454.
    I was thinking about taking the 4000. and putting it down on a new Carrera Eclipse or something and be in debt forever.
    I don't know what to do. Pay cash and have a potential project, or buy a new one and not worry about it.
    This hull seems to be solid just like my other one.
    I live in Hesperia. I saw the boat down at the river Yesterday. I'm supposed to go back Tuesday for a test ride and to purchase. The motor scares me!!! Jay

cyclone
    the 455 will last a long as long as you dont treat it like a race motor. Dont hold the throttle wide open for more than 5 seconds and it wont self destruct.
    The water in the oil issue is easily cured by replacing the metal "turkey tray" intake manifold gasket with a Fel Pro.
    Also, make sure the front timing cover gasket is sealing properly. Those two areas are the most common sources for water leaks in a 455.
    Take care of those areas and dont beat the motor too hard and it will last a long time.
    The 19-foot Bonneville is a rare hull and worth every penny even if you have to put some work into it. You'll find that when properly set up, it will turn great, ride through average chop with ease, and make good use of the available horsepower.

victorfb
    last year when i was looking for Rogers hulls only, i couldnt find one 19' bonneville anywere. i looked at about (6) 18' hulls and saw a few more online that were too far to drive to look at. i went all over Calif, and AZ. and finally found my dream hull about 5 minutes from my house. (1975 Rogers 18' bonneville). a 19' did come to surface a few months later, but it wasnt cheap. so i would say, if you like the hull, and can afford it, BUY IT! you may not come across another for a while.
    by the way, my 455 olds in the tahiti is still running great after 5 seasons on a freshened up motor. just take the advice and dont run it like a race motor and you should be fine. and if later you decide to do the swap/upgrade you can use the boat till you get all the parts to do so.
    good luck..

jtham
    Thanks Cyclone and Victor fb!! Maybe I will buy it. I don't know if it's a Bonneville. The owner just said the title says 1975 Rogers 19.5 foot. The hull seems solid.
    Victor do you remember when you and your girlfriend came to my house to look at my 18' Wieman? I finally sold it for 2500. in November. The guy had a 502 for it.
    Anyway if I buy it, I will post pics. Jay

victorfb
    jay. yes i do remember, and it was a nice boat too. and if you remember, i too had a 502 waiting for a hull. i found my boat for $1500 less motor, but got alot of extras with it. so it worked out great for me. im glad you finally sold the weiman. i bet it hurt to see it go. but it sounds like your getting another nice boat. cant wait to see it.
    as far as it being a bonneville or not, that i dont know. 19.5 throws me off. the 19' was a bonneville bubble deck, but i believe the 20' was not. "Old rigger" would be the guy to answer that one. and of course pics would be nice.
    it was great meeting you before, and i hope we can again. get that rogers and lets go the river.

as for the 18-19?
    all i know is that the 18 as actualy17'-10", and the 19 is actualy 18'-10" and i dont even recall ever seeing a 19' that was not a bonneville!
    i think that the only other hulls (18-19) were called cyclone, (flat deck with a deep keel?) and the other was called the super cyclone (cyclone cap, W/ a bonneville bottom) just like boater bills?
    maybe we can get old rigger out to shed some light, and clean up the mess of words i tried to use here! lmfao

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast