Thread: Head Gasket Recommendations?

Shallow Minded
    Hey guys, got an easy one for ya. Looking for a head gasket on my blown 454 rebuild. I had purchased a Fel-Pro marine gasket with a compressed thickness of .039. However, I am now looking to lower my compression (currently at approx. 8.6; would like to land around 8.0) and was curious who might offer a slightly thicker, reliable gasket set. Stick with Fel-Pro? Cometics? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    SM

Infomaniac
    The Cometic gasket is .046 or .054. some where around there. More if you want it.
    A thicker gasket alone would make the quench clearance really suck. Even with zero deck pistons. Might lower the compression but will mess with the combustion.
    But it will work. Many folks do it.

GofastRacer
    Personally, I would do some chamber work instead to lower the compression and keep the quench area as tight as possible. With a compression drop you will lose a certain amount of power, and increasing the quench clearance will just ad to it!. It is time consuming to do it right but I would think it's worth it to keep a good combustion!....Just my .02!..

Shallow Minded
    I appreciate the info, guys. Don't know if this changes things, but my pistons are about .020 below deck at TDC. And this boat is a "daily driver," nothing too radical. Reran the calc's and the .046 Cometic gets me down to 8.5 to 1 and the .054 down to 8.4. Is it even worth messing with?

cruser
    Why??
    cruzer

SJ Valley Dave
    My question also. Why do you want to lower it from where it would be?? You obviosly run regular old punp gas now so why throw away HP for no reason??

Shallow Minded
    From what I've been told, everybody recommends sticking right around the 8.0:1 range given my application (454, B&M 174 Blower, 6 lbs boost, pump gas always, 5000-5200 RPM). Considering I just performed this exact rebuild 8 months ago, I'm not crazy about going thru it again... neither is my wallet. I guess given my application (everyday lake boat) I'd rather error on the side of caution. God, did I just type that on this forum???
    SM