Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serial Numbers??????

payloan
    As some of you may know I am in the market fo an outdrive (standard Bravo) I have been bidding on E-Bay and I am loooking real good on one, bid ends tonite. Only qeustion is in the picture the drive has no stickers. the guy says he repainted the drive and didnt put any stickers back on. I asked if at least the serial #'s were still visible for future reference and he says "you know I dont know?" My question is is there a place to run serial #'s to make sure there clean and second should the serial #'s be legible even without the sticker. And last do I push the guy to give them to me before I buy? I just dont want to piss anyone off and lose out on a good deal.

Scream
    Well, You're the customer. If your unsure, you need to "ease" your mind. Kaviat Emptor (sp?) or let the buyer beware. contact Mercury Marine and see if they offer help in the serial number arena, otherwise I would think an authorized repair facility would have access to the database for that drive...
    Otherwise, how good of a deal would it be?

payloan
    thats the same thing I was thinking. This whole E-Bay thing Ithink just has my "chonies" in a bundle you know what I mean? Sending off a good chunk of change in some cases so many miles away to someone you never even see is all a little bit weird to me. I just cant find one at a good price around here I,ve called a few shops but I may as well buy new!

Dave C
    you can type in the serial number on Mercruiser's website to tell you what model it is and order parts.
    other than that... don't burn your fingers........ouch... why's it so hot.

twistedpair
    No serial #? I would definitely worry about it being stolen. The paint makes me nervous also. Kinda like if you see a street bike advertised with 'fresh paint and graphics', you can pretty much bet it has been wrecked.

payloan
    It just through me off when I saw the picture because it had no stickers on it , and I know that the serial # is on the sticker so I wasnt quite sure what to make of it. And remember were talking E- Bay here. The guy has been reg. with E-Bay for a little under a year with only a few feedbacks (all possitive) if that matters

RiverToysJas
    Ask the guy if he has any Lifeline jackets, and maybe a quad-whipple for sale!!!!
    RTJas

payloan
    thats what through me off. Either its really old and hes trying to throw me for a loop is what I am thinking, thats the main reason I want to see if I can run the #s to see what year it actually is. He says its a '97 what do you think.

payloan
    and by the way you guys are not making me feel any better looks like I am back to the alpha search again, the only thing is I am the hi- bidder and i have allready retracted a bid last week I probably will be banned from E- Bay after only being a member for a couple of weeks (got to be a record) SOMEONE OUTBID ME PLEase

phebus
    If you retract your bid because the seller couldn't provide you with a valid serial number, I would think that ebay would accept it without a change in your bidding status.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast